Quick: TBD; hard-capped by the Devonte’ Graham sign-and-trade
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Hard Cap: $143,002,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): TBD
Roster Count: 15 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: Devonte’ Graham, Tomas Satoransky, Kira Lewis Jr, Jose Alvarado (two-way)
SG: Josh Hart, Garrett Temple, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Daulton Hommes (two-way)
SF: Brandon Ingram, Trey Murphy III, Didi Louzada, Herbert Jones, Wenyen Gabriel
PF: Zion Williamson, Naji Marshall
C: Jonas Valanciunas, Jaxson Hayes, Willy Hernangomez
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Nicolo Melli, expiring 2/11/22) — $3,897,436
- Trade Exception (Steven Adams, expiring 7/7/22) — $17,073,171
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $7,836,000 (Herbert Jones)
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Wenyen Gabriel $1,762,796 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Non-Bird: James Nunnally (two-way)
- Kira Lewis Jr (third-year)
- Zion Williamson (fourth-year)
- Jaxson Hayes (fourth-year)
- Nickeil Alexander-Walker (fourth-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Steven Adams, Eric Bledsoe, Wesley Iwundu
G-League Affiliate: Birmingham Squadron (general manager Marc Chasanoff, coach Ryan Pannone)
Two-Way Contracts: Jose Alvarado, Daulton Hommes
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Gayle Benson
- David Griffin — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Trajan Langdon — general manager
- Swin Cash — vice president of basketball operations and team development
- Bryson Graham — assistant general manager
- Michael Blackstone — vice president of basketball administration
- Todd Quinter — director of pro personnel
- Marc Chasanoff — senior director of basketball operations
- Shane Kupperman — senior director, salary cap & strategy
- Adam Barnes — chief of staff
Head Coach: Willie Green
Assistants: Casey Hill, Fred Vinson, Teresa Weatherspoon, Jarron Collins, Mike D’Antoni (coaching advisor), Corey Brewer (player development), Darnell Lazare (player development), Beno Udrih (player development)
Trainer: Aaron Nelson (vice president of player care and performance), Tom Maystadt (head athletic trainer), Daniel Bove (director of sports science and performance), Jason Sumerlin (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2022 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers, that will convey to the Memphis Grizzlies (11-30), otherwise the 2022 second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers will convey instead (Anthony Davis, Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes, Jonas Valanciunas).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Cleveland Cavaliers (Kyle Korver, Jaxson Hayes).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder (top-54 protected) from the Sacramento Kings (Mfiondu Kabengele, BJ Boston Jr).
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Utah Jazz (Elijah Hughes).
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder (top-14 protected, otherwise converts to 2022 and 2024 second-rounders) to the Charlotte Hornets (Devonte’ Graham).
- 2023 — Can swap first-rounders with the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis).
- 2023 — Owe a second-rounder (top-45 protected) to the Atlanta Hawks (Jaxson Hayes).
- 2024 — Owed a first-rounder from the Los Angeles Lakers (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
- 2024 — Can swap first-rounders with the Milwaukee Bucks (Jrue Holiday).
- 2024 — Owed a second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Lonzo Ball).
- 2025 — Owed a first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (Jrue Holiday).
- 2026 — Can swap first-rounders with the Milwaukee Bucks (Jrue Holiday).
- 2026 — Owed a second-rounder from the Portland Trail Blazers (Greg Brown III).
- 2027 — Owed a first-rounder from the Milwaukee Bucks (Jrue Holiday).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $2 million to the Charlotte Hornets (Devonte’ Graham) — $3,785,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $2.5 million from the Los Angeles Clippers (BJ Boston Jr); $1.2 million from the Chicago Bulls (Lonzo Ball) — $2,085,000 remaining
- 9/2/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Herbert Jones.
- 9/4/21 — No-trade restriction lifts on Jose Alvarado and Daulton Hommes.
- 9/15/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Jonas Valanciunas.
- 9/16/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Tomas Satoransky.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Kira Lewis Jr, Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on Willy Hernangomez, Didi Louzada, Devonte’ Graham and Garrett Temple.
- 1/7/22 — Wenyen Gabriel’s $1,762,796 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Josh Hart.
- 2/11/22 — Nicolo Melli trade exception expires.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/25/22 — Josh Hart’s $12,960,000 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 7/7/22 — Steven Adams trade exception expires.
- Before first day of the 2022-23 season — Extension deadlines for Zion Williamson, Jaxson Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Kira Lewis Jr and Trey Murphy III.
- 6/25/23 — Josh Hart’s $12,960,000 guarantees for 2023-24 (contingent on player option).
- 6/29/23 — Qualifying offer deadlines for Zion Williamson, Jaxon Hayes and Nickeil Alexander-Walker.
- 6/29/23 — Team options on Willy Hernangomez, Naji Marshall and Herbert Jones.
- 6/29/23 — Player option for Josh Hart.
- 6/30/23 — Garrett Temple’s $5,401,000 guarantees for 2023-24.
- 7/1/23 — Didi Louzada’s $1,965,566 guarantees for 2023-24.
- Before first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines for Kira Lewis Jr.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadline for Kira Lewis Jr.
- 6/30/24 — Didi Louzada’s $2,057,646 guarantees for 2024-25.
- 10/31/23 — Team option on Trey Murphy III.
- 7/1/24 — Devonte’ Graham’s $12,6500,000 guarantees for 2024-25.
- Before first day of the 2024-25 season — Extension deadline for Trey Murphy III.
- 6/29/25 — Qualifying offer deadline for Trey Murphy III.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/16/21 — Parted ways with coach Stan Van Gundy.
- 6/22/21 — Received the No. 10 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery.
- 7/22/21 — Hired Willie Green as head coach.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Ziaire Williams (2021-10th), Herbert Jones (2021-35th), Jared Butler (2021-40th) and Greg Brown III (2021-43rd).
- 7/30/21 — Traded Greg Brown III (2021-43rd) to the Portland Trail Blazers for a 2026 second-rounder and $2 million.
- 7/31/21 — Opted Didi Louzada out of his contract.
- 7/31/21 — Issued qualifying offers to Lonzo Bal, Josh Hart and Didi Louzada.
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue a qualifying offer to James Nunnally.
- 8/7/21 — Traded Steven Adams (generating a $17,073,171 trade exception), Eric Bledsoe, Ziaire Williams (2021-10th) and Jared Butler (2021-40th) and a 2022 Los Angeles Lakers first-rounder (top-10 protected, otherwise converts to a 2022 Cleveland Cavaliers second-rounder and a 2025 Pelicans second-rounder) to the Memphis Grizzlies, and Wesley Iwundu, a 2022 first-rounder (lottery protected, otherwise conveys as 2022 and 2024 second-rounders) and $2 million to the Charlotte Hornets for Jonas Valanciunas, Trey Murphy III (2021-17th) and BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st) from the Grizzlies and Devonte’ Graham, via sign-and trade to a partially-guaranteed four-year $47,300,000 contract from the Hornets.
- 8/7/21 — Traded BJ Boston Jr (2021-51st) to the Los Angeles Clippers for $2.5 million and a 2022 Sacramento Kings second-rounder (top-54 protected).
- 8/8/21 — Traded Lonzo Ball (via sign-and-trade) to the New Orleans Pelicans for Garrett Temple (via sign-and-trade to a partially-guaranteed three-year $15,466,500 contract via Non-Bird Rights), Tomas Satoransky, a 2024 second-rounder and $1.2 million.
- 8/9/21 — Signed Trey Murphy III (2021-17th) to a $14,779,414 rookie-scale contract.
- 8/13/21 — Re-signed Didi Louzada to a partially-guaranteed four-year $7,686,312 contract, via Non-Bird Rights.
- 8/16/21 — Signed Herbert Jones (2021-35th) to a three-year $5,321,096 contract, via the non-taxpayer mid-level exception, team option on the final season.
- 8/16/21 — Re-signed Willy Hernangomez to a three-year $7,330,743, via Non-Bird Rights, team option on the final season.
- 8/18/21 — Signed Jose Alvarado to a two-way contract (Exhibit 9).
- 8/18/21 — Signed Daulton Hommes to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/18/21 — Re-signed Josh Hart to a partially-guaranteed three-year $37,920,000 contract, player option on the final season.
- Brandon Ingram — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Unsigned Draft Picks
- First-rounders: None
- Second-rounders: Latavious Williams (2010-48th)
Arena: Smoothie King Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/31/21)
If you are looking to bet on the New Orleans Pelicans, make sure to check on our guide about sports betting in Louisiana. You can also use one of the numerous US online sportsbooks or one of the offshore betting sites or bet on the go with the best mobile sports betting apps.