Quick: Over the cap.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap $119 million): TBD
Roster Count: 10 guaranteed, one non-guaranteed, two two-ways
PG: D’Angelo Russell, Patrick Beverley, McKinley Wright (two-way)
SG: Malik Beasley, Jaylen Nowell
SF: Anthony Edwards, Josh Okogie
PF: Taurean Prince, Jaden McDaniels, Jake Layman, Nathan Knight (two-way)
C: Karl-Anthony Towns, Naz Reid
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Ricky Rubio, expiring 6/30/22) — $4,750,000
- Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $9,536,000
- Bi-Annual Exception — $3,732,000
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Naz Reid $1,782,621 — 8/18/21
- Jaylen Nowell $1,782,621 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Full Bird: Evan Turner*** ($27,909,834), Jarred Vanderbilt ($2,079,826)
- Early Bird: Ed Davis ($6,506,955), Jordan McLaughlin (two-way, RFA)
- Non-Bird: Aaron Brooks*** ($1,669,178)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
- Jarred Vanderbilt $2,079,826 (issued)
- Jordan McLaughlin $1,669,178 ($84,414 guaranteed, issued)
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
- Josh Okogie
- Anthony Edwards (third-year)
- Jaden McDaniels (third-year)
Waived Players: None
Traded Players: Ricky Rubio, Jarrett Culver, Juancho Hernangomez
G-League Affiliate: Iowa Wolves (general manager Gianluca Pascucci, coach Sam Newman-Beck)
Two-Way Contracts: Nathan Knight, McKinley Wright
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $449,115 for the full 2020-21 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date. Once a player reaches 50 games played, his salary will jump to the minimum for his years of service. TBD for 2021-22.
Governor: Glen Taylor
- Gersson Rosas — president of basketball operations
- Sachin Gupta — executive vice president of basketball operations
- Joe Branch — assistant general manager
- Gianluca Pascucci — assistant general manager
- Manny Rohan — assistant general manager
- Dr. Robby Sikka — vice president of basketball operations and player wellness
Head Coach: Chris Finch
Assistants: Joseph Blair, Micah Nori, Pablo Prigioni
Trainer: Javair Gillet (vice president of sports science and performance), Gregg Farnam (vice president of player health/head athletic trainer), Bill Burgos (head strength and conditioning coach)
- 2022 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Sam Dekker, Ricky Rubio).
- 2022 — Owed the higher second-rounder from the Philadelphia 76ers or the Denver Nuggets (Wilson Chandler, Jimmy Butler).
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder (Ricky Rubio).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the New York Knicks (Ed Davis).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $0
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 10/1/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Patrick Beverley.
- 10/18/21 — Extension deadline on Josh Okogie.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 10/31/21 — Team options on Jaden McDaniels and Anthony Edwards.
- 1/10/22 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,782621 guarantees for 2021-22.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Team options on Naz Reid and Jaylen Nowell.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadline on Josh Okogie.
- 6/30/22 — Ricky Rubio trade exception expires.
- 7/20/22 — Naz Reid’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 10/31/22 — Team options on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels.
- 1/10/23 — Jaylen Nowell’s $1,930,681 guarantees for 2022-23.
- 6/29/23 — Team option on Malik Beasley.
- Before the first day of the 2023-24 season — Extension deadlines on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels.
- 6/29/24 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Anthony Edwards and Jaden McDaniels.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 6/22/21 — Received the No. 7 pick in the NBA Draft Lottery (will convey to the Golden State Warriors, D’Angelo Russell).
- 7/31/21 — Issued qualifying offers to Jordan McLaughlin and Jarred Vanderbilt.
- 8/2/21 — Traded Ricky Rubio (generating a $4,750,000 trade exception) to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Taurean Prince, a Washington Wizards 2022 second-rounder and $2.5 million.
- 8/4/21 — Signed Nathan Knight to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/5/21 — Signed McKinley Wright to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/18/21 — Naz Reid’s $1,782,621 guaranteed for 2021-22.
- 8/25/21 — Traded Jarrett Culver and Juancho Hernangomez to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Patrick Beverley.
- Karl-Anthony Towns — 5 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Unsigned Draft Picks:
- First-rounders: Leandro Bolmaro (2020-23rd)
- Second-rounders: Paulao Prestes (2010-45th), Henk Norel (2009-47th)
Arena: Target Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 8/28/21)
If you are looking to bet on Minnesota Timberwolves, make sure to check on our guide about sports betting in Minnesota. You can also use one of the numerous US online sportsbooks or one of the offshore betting sites or bet on the go with the best mobile sports betting apps.