Quick: Over the cap and tax.
Salary Cap: $112,414,000
Luxury Tax Threshold: $136,606,000
Projection for 2022-23 (cap TBD): Up to $17.5 million in cap space, none with Russell Westbrook.
Roster Count: 13 guaranteed, two two-ways, two summer contracts
PG: Russell Westbrook, Kendrick Nunn, Rajon Rondo, Mac McClung (summer contract)
SG: Talen Horton-Tucker, Malik Monk, Wayne Ellington, Joel Ayayi (two-way), Austin Reaves (two-way)
SF: LeBron James, Kent Bazemore, Chaundee Brown (summer contract)
PF: Anthony Davis, Carmelo Anthony, Trevor Ariza
C: DeAndre Jordan, Dwight Howard
Note: Teams often adjust their depth chart throughout the season, sometimes game by game.
- Trade Exception (Marc Gasol, expiring 8/29/22) — $2,692,991
- Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception — $890,000 (Kendrick Nunn)
Non-Guaranteed Salaries — Next Cut-Down Date*
- Chaundee Brown $925,258 — 1/7/22
- Mac McClung $925,258 — 1/7/22
* Teams and players can agree to push back cut-down dates but not past January 7 each year.
Free Agents (with Cap Holds)
- Early Bird: Kostas Antetokounmpo (two-way, $1,729,217), Jared Dudley ($1,669,178), Devontae Cacok (two-way, $1,669,178)
- Non-Bird: Wesley Matthews ($4,347,600), Dion Waiters*** ($1,669,178)
*** Cannot be included in a sign-and-trade
Waived Players: Alfonzo McKinnie
Traded Players: Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Montrezl Harrell, Marc Gasol
G-League Affiliate: South Bay Lakers (Nick Mazzella general manager, Miles Simon coach)
Two-Way Contracts: Joel Ayayi, Austin Reaves
Note: Two-Way Contracts pay $462,629 for the full 2021-22 season, pro-rated based on in-season signing date.
Governor: Jeanie Buss
- Rob Pelinka — vice president, basketball operations and general manager
- Kurt Rambis — director of basketball affairs
- Joey Buss — vice president, research & development
- Jesse Buss — assistant general manager/director of scouting
- Nick Mazzella — senior director of pro personnel
- Philip Chang — senior manager of basketball analytics
- Sam Usher — manager, basketball operations
- Marshall Rader — manager, salary cap strategy
- Irving Thomas — head scout
- Bill Bertka — special assistant to the general manager/basketball consultant
Head Coach: Frank Vogel
Assistants: Lionel Hollins, Phil Handy, Miles Simon, Mike Penberthy, Quinton Crawford, Dru Anthrop
Trainer: Judy Seto (director of sports performance), Nina Hsieh (head athletic trainer), Chattin Hill (head strength & conditioning coach)
- 2022 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis), will convey to the Memphis Grizzlies if 11-30 (Jonas Valanciunas).
- 2022 — Owe a second-rounder to the San Antonio Spurs (Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook).
- 2023 — The New Orleans Pelicans can swap first-rounders (Anthony Davis).
- 2023 — Owed second-rounder from the Chicago Bulls (Otto Porter, Russell Westbrook).
- 2024 — Owed the lower second-rounder from the Washington Wizards or Memphis Grizzlies (Brandon Clarke, Admiral Schofield, Russell Westbrook).
- 2024 — Owe a first-rounder to the New Orleans Pelicans (Anthony Davis). The Pelicans can delay the pick until 2025.
- 2024 — Owe a second-rounder to the Memphis Grizzlies (Marc Gasol).
- 2026 — Owe a second-rounder to the Cleveland Cavaliers (JaVale McGee).
- 2028 — Owed a second-rounder from the Washington Wizards (Russell Westbrook).
Cash Paid ($5,785,000 max): $250,000 to the Memphis Grizzlies (Marc Gasol) — $5,535,000 remaining
Cash Received ($5,785,000 max): $0
- 9/14/21 — No-aggregation restriction lifts on Russell Westbrook.
- 10/19/21 — First day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 12/15/21 — No-trade restrictions lift on DeAndre Jordan, Rajon Rondo, Chaundee Brown, Mac McClung, Wayne Ellington, Kendrick Nunn, Carmelo Anthony, Kent Bazemore, Malik Monk, Dwight Howard and Trevor Ariza.
- 1/7/22 — Chaundee Brown and Mac McClung’s $925,258 guarantee for 2021-22.
- 1/15/22 — No-trade restriction lifts on Talen Horton-Tucker.
- 4/10/22 — Final day of the 2021-22 regular season.
- 6/23/22 — NBA Draft.
- 6/29/22 — Kendrick Nunn and Russell Westbrook’s player options.
- 6/29/22 — Qualifying offer deadlines on Chaundee Brown and Mac McClung.
- 7/1/22 — Start of the 2022-23 calendar year and moratorium.
- 7/5/22 — Final day of the moratorium.
- 8/29/22 — Marc Gasol trade exception expires.
- 6/29/23 — Talen Horton-Tucker player option.
- 6/29/24 — Anthony Davis early termination option.
Teams and players can renegotiate guarantee dates but no later than January 7 each year.
- 7/22/21 — Issued a qualifying offer to Talen Horton-Tucker.
- 7/29/21 — Montrezl Harrell opted into his final season.
- 7/29/21 — Drafted Isaiah Jackson (2021-22nd).
- 8/1/21 — Declined to issue qualifying offers to Kostas Antetokounmpo and Devonte Cacok.
- 8/2/21 — Kyle Kuzma’s poison pill expired.
- 8/3/21 — Signed Joel Ayayi to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/3/21 — Signed Austin Reaves to a two-way contract ($50,000 guaranteed).
- 8/4/21 — Waived Alfonzo McKinnie.
- 8/6/21 — Traded Kyle Kuzma, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Montrezl Harrell to the Washington Wizards and Isaiah Jackson (2021-22nd) to the Indiana Pacers for Russell Westbrook and from the Wizards a Chicago Bulls 2023 second-rounder, the lower 2024 second-rounder between the Memphis Grizzlies and Wizards, and a Washington 2028 second-rounder.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Dwight Howard to a $2,641,691 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Trevor Ariza to a $2,641,691 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Wayne Ellington to a $2,641,691 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Malik Monk to a $1,789,256 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Carmelo Anthony Ariza to a $2,641,691 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Kent Bazemore to a $2,401,537 minimum contract.
- 8/6/21 — Signed Kendrick Nunn to a two-year $10,250,000 contract via the taxpayer mid-level exception, player option on the final season.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Talen Horton-Tucker to a three-year $30,780,000 contract via Early Bird Rights, player option on the final season.
- 8/6/21 — Re-signed Coach Frank Vogel to a contract extension.
- 8/9/21 – JaVale McGee trade exception ($674,408) expired.
- 8/10/21 — Signed Chaundee Brown to a non-guaranteed $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/10/21 — Signed Mac McClung to a non-guaranteed $925,258 minimum summer contract (Exhibits 9 and 10).
- 8/31/21 — Signed Rajon Rondo a $2,641,691 minimum contract.
- 9/9/21 — Signed DeAndre Jordan to a $2,641,691 minimum contract.
- 9/10/21 — Traded Marc Gasol (generating a $2,692,991 trade exception), a 2024 second-rounder and $250,000 to the Memphis Grizzlies for Wang Zhelin (2016-57th).
- LeBron James — 15 percent
- Anthony Davis — 15 percent
Note: Players can waive their trade bonuses.
Expired 10-Day Contracts: None
Rookie-Scale Extension Eligible
Unsigned Draft Picks
- Second-rounders: Wang Zhelin (2016-57th), Chinemelu Elonu (2009-59th), Brad Newley (2007-54th)
Arena: Staples Center
Salary and team data change quite often. If you notice a discrepancy, please notify Basketball Insiders Senior Writer Eric Pincus.
(Updated on 9/12/21)