West Virginia was one of the first states to approve sports betting in 2018, and since then, West Virginia online sports betting and available sportsbooks have continued to proliferate.
In this comprehensive guide, we will run through our top 5 favorite West Virginia sportsbooks for 2022. We will provide a set of mini-reviews, and we will discuss the legal parameters of betting in West Virginia. We will also look more closely at how Daily Fantasy sports betting functions.
|125% sign up bonus. Bet $1000 Get $1250 Free.||Get Offer|
|Up to $1,000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|50% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|100% Up To $500 - No Code Required||Get Offer|
|100% up to $1,000 Casino Bonus||Get Offer|
|100% Welcome Bonus Up To $1000||Get Offer|
|100% Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
- 1 The Best West Virginia Sports Betting Sites in 2022
- 2 Best West Virginia Sportsbook Betting Sites Reviewed
- 2.1 1. BetUS – Overall Best West Virginia Sports Betting Site 2022
- 2.2 2. Bovada – Best West Virginia Online Sports Betting Site for Bitcoin Bonuses
- 2.3 3. MyBookie – Best West Virginia Sports Betting Apps Online
- 2.4 4. XBet – Top New Site for Sports Betting in West Virginia
- 2.5 5. BetOnline – Top West Virginia Sports Betting for Big Bonuses
- 3 More on gambling in West Virginia…
- 4 West Virginia Sports Betting Sites Comparison
- 5 Timeline: Legal West Virginia Sports Betting Movements
- 6 Who can Bet on Sports in West Virginia
- 7 How to Bet on Sports in West Virginia
- 8 Is Sports Betting Legal in West Virginia
- 9 Previous Sports Betting Bills in West Virginia
- 10 Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in West Virginia
- 11 Payment Methods available in West Virginia
- 12 Bonuses Available at West Virginia Sportsbook Betting Sites
- 13 Popular Sports to Bet on in West Virginia Sportsbooks
- 13.1 NFL Betting in West Virginia
- 13.2 NBA Betting in West Virginia
- 13.3 MLB Betting in West Virginia
- 13.4 NHL Betting in West Virginia
- 13.5 NCAAB Betting in West Virginia
- 13.6 NCAAF Betting in West Virginia
- 13.7 Golf Betting in West Virginia
- 13.8 Horse Racing Betting in West Virginia
- 13.9 DFS is Legal in WV
- 14 Live Betting with West Virginia Sports Betting Sites
- 15 How West Virginia Stacks Up to the Nearby States
- 16 Casinos with Sports Betting in West Virginia
- 17 More on West Virginia Gambling
- 18 Best Online Sportsbook in West Virginia
- 19 FAQs
The Best West Virginia Sports Betting Sites in 2022
West Virginia online sports betting has evolved over the past few years, but which are the best West Virginia sportsbooks? Let’s take a look below at our carefully curated and researched list:
- BetUS – Overall Best West Virginia Sports Betting Site 2022
- Bovada – Best West Virginia Sportsbook for Bitcoin Bonuses
- MyBookie – Best WV Sports Betting App
- XBet – Best New WV Sportsbook
- BetOnline – Top WV Online Sports Betting for Big Bonuses
- Sportsbetting.ag – WV Esports Coverage
- GT Bets – Top West Virginia Sports Book for Horse Racing
- Intertops – Competitive Sports Betting Lines
- BetNow – Easy Signup Process
- BetAnySports – Great Lines for Basketball and Football
Best West Virginia Sportsbook Betting Sites Reviewed
Now, we have lifted the lid on which sites made the cut on our list, let’s take a closer look behind the scenes, and see what makes the best West Virginia sportsbooks tick:
1. BetUS – Overall Best West Virginia Sports Betting Site 2022
BetUS is one of the longest-standing sportsbooks about, founded in 1994. You can wager on a huge variety of different sports, including all of the major sports such as football, basketball, hockey and baseball. As well as motorsports and Esports, there is something for every bettor here.
When it comes to promotions and bonuses then this WV sportsbook is far superior and ahead of the game. If you sign up using the BetUS promo code JOIN125, you can get yourself a 125% deposit bonus worth up to a massive $3,125! This is a combined 100% sports betting bonus and a 25% casino bonus, so you can make the most of placing bets across the whole platform.
As well as the huge choice of promos on offer, there is almost always exciting and exclusive content running with huge cash prizes up for grabs. Some of the top cash prizes go up to $5000 per bettor!
- Huge welcome bonus
- Various betting offers and promos
- Exclusive basketball contests with big cash prizes
- Limited Esports selection
2. Bovada – Best West Virginia Online Sports Betting Site for Bitcoin Bonuses
Bovada is a huge and well-recognized WV sportsbook. As well as offering all of the popular sports and esports, Bovada has a unique live streaming and live betting feature, enabling bettors to place in-game wagers. There is also a choice of up to 29 different Esports to wager on, these include popular games like CS:GO and League of Legends.
If you’re after a sportsbook that offers a variety of bonuses, then Bovada has it all. The welcome bonus is a generous $1,000 deposit match bonus which you can claim by using the Bovada promo code BVD1000. On top of this, this West Virginia sportsbook also offers a huge 75% up to $750 bitcoin welcome bonus, for the bitcoin users out there. With the fast cryptocurrency payouts and supported methods, Bovada also makes it as one of the best bitcoin betting sites, it’s easy to see why.
- Great bitcoin offers and swift payouts
- Live streaming and in-game betting
- Extensive sports coverage
- Limited customer support options
3. MyBookie – Best West Virginia Sports Betting Apps Online
MyBookie is another popular WV sportsbook. It has a great mobile platform and is one of the best sports betting apps around. On top of covering all major sports markets, MyBookie also has a ‘Top Bets’ section giving bettors great tips and top picks. With a mixture of betting options, you can wager on all major sports including NFL, NBA, NCAA, hockey, motorsports, and more. You can even bet on huge international events such as the Olympics!
Similarly to our top pick BetOnline, MyBookie also offers a great promo of a 100% deposit match bonus up to $1,000. If cryptocurrency is more your thing then there is also a bitcoin promo with a bonus of up to $1000. Paired with fast payouts and great payment options, this is one of the best West Virginia sportsbooks available.
- Excellent choice of US pro and college sports
- Large variety of promo deals
- Cryptocurrency payment method accepted
- Limited Esports markets
4. XBet – Top New Site for Sports Betting in West Virginia
Another sportsbook to consider is XBet, one of the best new betting sites available in West Virginia. Their welcome bonus is 100% deposit match up to $500 which may seem incomparable to others but this sportsbook has much more to offer.
There is a refer a friend promo featuring unlimited $100 bonuses, plus for the horse racing bettors out there, you can claim up to 7% cashback when you wager on races.
XBet has also has an all-new mobile app and betting platform, allowing you to place live bets on the go, no matter where you are! This sportsbook also has exceptional customer service support, available 24/7 to meet all your needs should you have any queries or concerns.
For payment, there are a variety of supported methods including Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash and Litecoin as well as credit and debit cards. All have fast payout times.
- Unlimited refer a friend bonus
- Fast payouts and various payment options
- Excellent customer support
- Low welcome bonus compared to others
5. BetOnline – Top West Virginia Sports Betting for Big Bonuses
BetOnline is one of the leading sportsbooks around, one of the more established sports betting sites having been founded in 2001. It’s easy to see why the sportsbook is so popular, it offers a vast array of sports to bet on, offers very enticing promotions and extremely fast payouts.
The stand-out here is the welcome bonus, you can claim up to a massive $1000! There are also crypto bonuses, casino, and poker welcome bonuses to choose from.
There is also a huge range of sportsbooks markets available at BetOnline, over 1,000 including NFL, NBA, NHL, Soccer, and tennis as well as other international events. With so much to choose from including eSports betting, there’s something for everyone at this best WV betting site.
BetOnline also has a great live betting feature, allowing bettors to wager on all major US leagues, like NBA live betting with great odds.
- Welcome bonus up to $1000
- Huge choice of sportsbooks markets
- Established sportsbook with great reputation
- Fast payouts
- Doesn’t accept PayPal
More on gambling in West Virginia…
Learn about all types of online gambling in West Virginia in our expert guides below:
West Virginia Sports Betting Sites Comparison
Now, we have given you the lowdown on our top five sportsbooks in West Virginia, let’s scratch a little more beneath the surface, and see what bonuses they have in store:
|Welcome Bonus||Promo Code||Live Streaming||Highlights|
|BetUS||125% sportsbook deposit match up to $2,500||JOIN125||No||Tips and analysis articles
Generous loyalty program
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1000||BVD1000||Yes||Prop bet builder
Live sports streaming
|MyBookie||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||No||Weekly betting contests
Bitcoin boost bonus
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||Not required||No||Racing rebate promo
Unlimited referral bonus
|Betonline.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||No||Large cash contests
High limit betting
|SportsBetting.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||KICK100||No||Free live betting promos
Big money NFL contests
|BUSR||20% deposit match up to $500||WELCOME20||No||Daily rebate
Unlimited referral bonus
|Intertops||100% deposit match up to $500||INSIDERS||No||Weekly NFL pools
Monthly parlay contest
|BetNow||100% deposit match up to $500||BN100||No||Weekly $10,000 MLB contests
Weekly horse rebate
|BetAnySports||100% deposit match up to $700||None||No||Free-play bonus|
Timeline: Legal West Virginia Sports Betting Movements
West Virginia legalized sports betting in both formats—retail and mobile—back in 2018 but officially launched in 2020. Since then, there have been few updates, but below is a timeline dating back to March 2018.
- April 18, 2022: Neighboring Kentucky does not pass legislation, allowing for more potential bettors to cross the border into West Virginia to bet.
- February 2022: Legislation introduced to legalize betting on eSports.
- September 2021 – Golden Nugget Sportsbook launches a partnership with Greenbrier Hotel Corp.
- August 2021 – Caesars sports betting app arrives in West Virginia, after acquiring William Hill.
- June 2020 – Five retail sportsbooks and three online betting sites launch in West Virginia.
- 2019 – State Rep Shawn Fluharty introduces Hose Bill 2934 which permits online gambling in West Virginia, including casino games.
- March 2018 – Governor Jim Justice refuses to sign a bill, and so sports betting is legalized in West Virginia, two months before the Supreme Court ruling on PASPA.
Who can Bet on Sports in West Virginia
To bet on sports in West Virginia, you must be located within the state’s borders and be 21 years of age. Alternatively, you can bet at offshore sportsbooks, where you only need to be 18 years of age to gamble.
How to Bet on Sports in West Virginia
1. Create An Account
After you’ve found the online West Virginia sportsbook you’re comfortable with, you’ll need to create an account. This process takes one to two minutes at most.
2. Check Out the Promotions
After creating your account, you should check out the available promotions to see what you can utilize. This will encourage your deposit.
3. Fund Your Account
Next up, it’s time to fund your account. When you log into your account, you will find the deposit page/account balance in the upper right-hand corner of the page. Here, there will be a list of available methods. Choose the one you want to use and complete the process.
4. Make Your Bet
With the account ready to go, promotions in the back of your mind, and your virtual wallet stocked with cash, it’s time to bet. Go back to the homepage, click the sport you want to bet on, find the contest, find the bet type, and complete the process on the betslip.
Is Sports Betting Legal in West Virginia
Yes, sports betting is legal in West Virginia. It was officially legalized in 2018 and launched in 2020.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in West Virginia
With sports betting becoming legal in 2018 and so sooner after PASPA was overturned, there are no other sports betting bills of note. Since then, there have been other sports betting-related bills, such as legalizing betting on eSports.
- HB 4826: This bill was introduced in February 2022 and legalized betting on eSports.
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in West Virginia
West Virginia has a state income tax system with five brackets. The percentages range from 3% to 6.5%.
- Income up to $10,000 is taxed at 3%.
- Income of $10,000 to $25,000 is taxed at 4%.
- Income of $25,000 to $40,000 is taxed at 4.5%.
- Income of $40,000 to $60,000 is taxed at 6%.
- Income of over $60,000 is taxed at 6.5%.
Payment Methods available in West Virginia
You’ll need to fund your account after you’ve picked which of our recommended offshore sportsbooks make sense for you or if you’re playing at a legal online sportsbook. Below are the myriad ways in which you will be able to.
Crypto Betting Options
Available at offshore sportsbooks, cryptocurrency is also encouraged as evidenced by the promo offers that are only relevant if you use it.
- Bitcoin Cash
- Shiba Inu
eWallet Betting Options
With an eWallet, you can fund your account by linking a bank account to it or using the balance in the eWallet.
Traditional Payment Methods at West Virginia Betting sites
If you want to use a credit card or something similar, don’t worry, there are plenty of these kinds of methods available.
- Credit/Debit Cards
- ACH Transfer
- Online Banking
- Check my mail
- Wire Transfer
Bonuses Available at West Virginia Sportsbook Betting Sites
A deposit bonus is the quintessential welcome bonus. Here, you will be able to make a deposit and get it matched at a certain percentage, but with an overall bonus cap.
Using BetOnline as an example, you will receive a 50% match up to $1,000. You can withdraw the bonus you receive as cash, but not until you complete the wagering requirements, which at BetOnline are 10x.
A reload bonus is a deposit bonus, but on a much smaller scale. These are available to everyone to use, and you will be able to by using a promo code on the deposit page or opting-in on the promotions page.
A risk-free bet allows you to make a wager up to a certain amount and receive it back as a site credit or free bet if it results in a loss.
No Deposit Bonus
A no deposit bonus is nothing more than a quick boon to your account. The prize is around $10 to $25 with 1x wagering requirements.
Popular Sports to Bet on in West Virginia Sportsbooks
With the main team being from college, the West Virginia Mountaineers, there are no professional franchises in the state. However, there has been a track record of many fans betting on the following sports in the state.
NFL Betting in West Virginia
The NFL has many ways to wager, but the core ways to do so are with moneylines, spreads, props, totals, futures, and more. This is the most competitive betting space, and thus, you can bet anywhere with peace of mind.
NBA Betting in West Virginia
With the NBA, BetOnline and BetUS are the top spots, with the same bet types as the NFL, MLB, and NHL. The NBA Playoffs present plenty of fun markets at these sportsbooks, too.
MLB Betting in West Virginia
BetUS is a solid MLB betting platform, but Bovada seems to be the ideal platform. Here, you will have great odds on future bets, which are some of the most profitable.
NHL Betting in West Virginia
At MyBookie, you’ll have better odds and earlier odds available to you for the NHL. You’ll also have futures available to you and markets you may not find elsewhere.
NCAAB Betting in West Virginia
Like with the NBA, BetUS and BetOnline are the go-to spots for basketball betting. The odds here are excellent, and there are plenty of exciting opportunities at these sportsbooks, including when March Madness comes along.
- West Virginia Mountaineers: Last made it to the Final Four in 2010.
NCAAF Betting in West Virginia
Like the NFL, you can’t go wrong betting anywhere when it comes to college football. In addition to the standard bet types, you will have exciting futures available such as awards and the NFL Draft.
- West Virginia Mountaineers: Pat McAfee, former Colts kicker and current talk show personality and WWE commentator, went to West Virginia.
Golf Betting in West Virginia
Golf can be an exciting sport to wager on, with the core five bet types betting outright winners and top-five, 10, 15, and 20 finishes. However, finding those odds edges are essential with such large fields of golfers. Bovada and BetUS have some exciting odds, especially for the favored golfers.
Horse Racing Betting in West Virginia
With horse racing, the main bets you’ll be making are in the following categories: win, place, show, exacta, daily doubles, and more. BetUS, Bovada, and BetOnline are some of the top betting platforms as you’ll have races available to you from all over the world.
- Charlestown Races: 750 Hollywood Drive, Charles Town, WV 25414
- Mountaineer Race Track & Gaming Resort (MNR): P.O. Box 356 Chester, WV 26034
DFS is Legal in WV
Daily fantasy sports are legal in West Virginia. The top two sites to play at are DraftKings and FanDuel. Here, you will build a lineup while staying under the site’s designated salary cap. These lineups will be what you use in tournaments to win cash, with some contests having millions in prizes.
There are other versions of DFS, too, such as Monkey Knife Fight, which is more focused on props.
Live Betting with West Virginia Sports Betting Sites
Live betting is a bet type available at any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks and it is also available at the legal/regulated books. With this bet type, you will wager on games actively in progress, and odds will shift to reflect what is happening in the game.
How West Virginia Stacks Up to the Nearby States
One of the smaller states in the United States, West Virginia is still bordered by five states. Among those states which have legal sports betting?
- Pennsylvania: Sports betting is completely legal in retail and online settings.
- Maryland: Sports betting is legal in person and will soon be online.
- Virginia: Sports betting is legal in Virginia.
- Kentucky: Sports betting is not legal in Kentucky. Legislation was not passed in April 2022 which would have brought it to the state.
- Ohio: Sports betting is expected to launch in Ohio by January 1, 2023.
Casinos with Sports Betting in West Virginia
If you want to bet in person at a casino in West Virginia, you have a few different options.
- Hollywood Casino at Charles Town
- The Greenbrier
- Mardi Gras/Wheeling Island
- Mountaineer Casino
More on West Virginia Gambling
If you’re looking for additional ways to gamble in West Virginia, we have resources available for you to check out below.
Best Online Sportsbook in West Virginia
With so many different gambling platforms and a sportsbook deposit bonus available to you, that’s close to $3,000, BetUS is our No. 1 recommended offshore sportsbook in West Virginia. However, bonus amounts and other gambling platforms may not be your sole priority.
We recommend exploring all of our recommended offshore sportsbooks to see which works best for you.
|125% sign up bonus. Bet $1000 Get $1250 Free.||Get Offer|
Is online sports betting legal in West Virginia?
What is the legal gambling age in West Virginia?
Who oversees WV sports betting?
Is mobile sports betting available in West Virginia?
Where can I bet on sports in West Virginia?