Virginia lottery games are hugely popular, generating more than $3 billion in revenue every year. The state has also greatly expanded its online offering and now provides easy access to not only the best Virginia lottery games but also a host of offerings from online casinos in the form of lottery betting, scratch cards, and even crypto lottery draws.
Lucky players have already claimed VA lottery jackpots of up to $240 million and, whether it be via the state lottery or playing one of the online casino variants, the next big winner could be you. This guide will present all of the best games, the top lottery sites, and how to take part in the action. Learn all about it here.
|Free Daily Jackpot Entry||Get Offer|
|250% bonus up to $1,000||Get Offer|
|100% up to $1,000 Casino Bonus||Get Offer|
|Up to $1,000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|150% up to $3,000||Get Offer|
- 1 Best Virginia Lottery Sites
- 2 Quick Virginia Lottery Info
- 2.1 Is the Lottery Legal in Virginia?
- 2.2 What Land-Based Virginia Lottery Games can you Play?
- 2.3 Where can you Play the Lottery in Virginia?
- 2.4 Can you Buy Lottery Tickets Online in Virginia?
- 2.5 Other Virginia Lottery Options to Play Online
- 2.6 What are the Advantages of Playing the Virginia Lottery Online?
- 3 Virginia Lottery Draw Schedule
- 4 Where to Find Virginia Lottery Results
- 5 Best Virginia Online Lotteries Reviewed
- 5.1 1. LuckyBlock – Our VA Lottery Top Choice with Free to Enter Jackpot Draws
- 5.2 2. Wild Casino – Top Offering of Virginia Lottery-Type Games
- 5.3 3. BetOnline – Best Progressive Keno Games for VA Lottery Fans
- 5.4 4. Bovada – Best for Virginia Online Bingo Games
- 5.5 5. BetUS – $5,000 Welcome Bonus and Promos for VA Online Lotto Games
- 6 Virginia Lottery Sites Compared
- 7 How to Claim a Virginia Lottery Prize
- 8 Virginia Lottery Rules
- 8.0.1 What’s the minimum age for players to buy Virginia lottery tickets?
- 8.0.2 Can I buy lottery tickets even if I am not a Virginia resident?
- 8.0.3 Can I claim a Virginia lottery jackpot anonymously?
- 8.0.4 Do I have to pay taxes on my winnings from the Virginia lotto games?
- 8.0.5 Can I validate my winning ticket in another state?
- 8.0.6 How much time do I have to collect my prize?
- 9 Lottery Games available in Virginia
- 10 Tips for Playing & Betting on Lotteries in Virginia
- 11 Payment Methods at Virginia Lottery Sites
- 12 Virginia Lottery App & Mobile Play
- 13 Biggest Virginia Lottery Wins
- 14 How We Choose the Best Lotto Sites
- 15 Read our related pages…
- 16 The Overall Best Virginia Lottery Site
- 17 FAQs
- 17.1 Can you bet on lotteries in Virginia?
- 17.2 Which is the best lottery in Virginia?
- 17.3 Does Virginia have a state lottery?
- 17.4 Is Virginia a Powerball state?
- 17.5 Does Virginia allow Indian lottery?
- 17.6 Can I buy lottery tickets with a credit card in Virginia?
- 17.7 How do you play the Virginia lottery online?
- 17.8 Can you buy lottery tickets online from another state?
- 17.9 How long does it take to receive lottery winnings?
- 17.10 What is online cash VA Lottery?
- 17.11 How do I play Powerball online?
Best Virginia Lottery Sites
Forget to purchase a ticket to enter this week’s VA lottery draw? No problem. For the best online lottery gaming experience, we strongly recommend checking out the following sites. These stand out above the rest thanks to their offerings across games, jackpots, bonuses, and much more.
- LuckyBlock – Our top choice for playing the lottery online
- Wild Casino – Top offering of Virginia lottery-type games
- BetOnline – Best for online keno with progressive jackpots
- Bovada – Superb Virginia lottery bingo games online
- BetUS – $5,000 welcome bonus and weekly promotions
Quick Virginia Lottery Info
Before you jump in and buy your tickets, learn more about the Virginia lottery landscape, the available games, and other key details here:
Is the Lottery Legal in Virginia?
Yes, Virginia offers legal and regulated lottery games. The Virginia Lottery is in charge of regulating lottery gaming, as well as sports betting, and casino gaming in the state. Players can buy tickets at local retailers or online for popular draws, like Mega Millions, Powerball, and Cash4Life.
What Land-Based Virginia Lottery Games can you Play?
Retail land-based locations offer a variety of draw games and extras, including:
- Virginia Lottery Scratchers
- Virginia Lottery Keno
- Mega Millions
- Virginia Lottery Bank a Million
- Cash 4 Life
- Cash 5
- Virginia Lottery Pick 4
- Virginia Lottery Pick 3
Where can you Play the Lottery in Virginia?
You can buy Virginia lottery tickets at any of the 5,000+ retailers located throughout the state. Furthermore, you can also play some of the Virginia lottery games online, at the official site.
Can you Buy Lottery Tickets Online in Virginia?
Yes, Virginia state lottery sells tickets online at valottery.com. While it doesn’t cover all of the lotteries available at retail stores, it does sell tickets for the popular draw games. Here, players can buy tickets for Powerball and the Mega Millions Virginia lottery, and for smaller games like Virginia Cash 5, Pick 4, and Pick 3.
Other Virginia Lottery Options to Play Online
The Virginia lottery online offering also includes more than 50 additional gaming options that look like casino games. While most of these are technically scratch cards, they have been designed to look like online slots. They cover a wide range of themes and you can even play them for free, in demo mode.
What are the Advantages of Playing the Virginia Lottery Online?
- Easy access to a wide range of Virginia lottery online games
- Can purchase tickets for the big lottery draws at any time
- New mobile Virginia lottery apps further improve accessibility
- Great for avoiding crowded retail stores and waiting in-line
- Special online Virginia Lottery promotions, like extra chances
- Easy to check winning numbers and tickets online on the site
Virginia Lottery Draw Schedule
Since there are so many Virginia lotteries worth playing every week, you might need to plan ahead a bit. The table below displays the draw schedule, including the ticket sales close times on draw days so that you don’t miss any opportunities.
Ticket Sales Close:
Monday, Wednesday & Saturday
Tuesday & Friday
|Bank a Million||
Wednesday & Saturday
|Virginia Lottery Cash 5||
*All Virginia lottery times are based on Eastern Time (ET).
Where to Find Virginia Lottery Results
You can check the Virginia lottery results in the retail stores and online. The site has a “Check My Numbers” tab and dedicated pages for the main draws for more details:
- Virginia Lottery Mega Millions
- Virginia Lottery Powerball
- Cash 4 Life Virginia
- Virginia Bank a Million
- Virginia Cash 5
- VA Lottery Pick 4
- VA Lottery Pick 3
Best Virginia Online Lotteries Reviewed
We cover the top 5 sites where you can play Virginia lottery-style games online. These offer a range of options, including exclusive crypto lotteries and top online casino games. Learn more about them here:
1. LuckyBlock – Our VA Lottery Top Choice with Free to Enter Jackpot Draws
Launched in 2022, LuckyBlock is a new lottery-based crypto gaming platform that has quickly risen to the top. Although it doesn’t sell tickets for the standard Virginia lottery draws, it does come with its own games. Here, players can win massive jackpots online.
The Free to Enter Jackpot is now the biggest lottery game at LuckyBlock. The prize pool exceeds $2.3 million and users don’t even need to buy tickets. It is enough to own the exclusive LBLOCK token and connect the wallet on the site for free entries. If you want to further improve the odds of winning, tickets cost only $5.
Other Virginia lottery games online at LuckyBlock include a unique NFT prize draw with a jackpot of $1 million. In order to be part of the draw, players need to buy any of the 10,000 NFTs launched on the platform. Payment options cover a very wide range of cryptocurrencies on the PancakeSwap network.
What we like:
- Free tickets for multi-million lottery
- Instant payouts for VA lottery prizes
- User-friendly mobile apps for jackpots
- Play-to-earn rewards for holding LBlock
- More online crypto games coming soon
What we don’t:
- Doesn’t offer a welcome bonus
2. Wild Casino – Top Offering of Virginia Lottery-Type Games
Wild Casino provides great alternatives to Virginia lotto games in the form of keno, scratch cards, and casino shooters. It has more than 20 options right now, along with over 300 slots and various table games. The site also includes two live casino sections for players who want to play online with real dealers.
One of the advantages of joining Wild Casino is represented by the welcome bonus of up to $5,000. This offer is available for new players who deposit via traditional payment methods using the Wild Casino promo codes INSIDERS. For crypto deposits, the welcome package increases to $9,000 over the first five deposits.
For help choosing the right payment option, and for other casino questions, the Wild Casino support team is always available. You can get in touch by live chat on the site and by sending an email.
What we like:
- Themed online scratch cards & keno games
- Massive welcome package of up to $9,000
- Top real money slots available in Virginia
- Additional promos and weekly giveaways
- Full casino available on iPhone & Android
What we don’t:
- Doesn’t have seven-figure lottery jackpots
- Players can’t enjoy the games in free mode
3. BetOnline – Best Progressive Keno Games for VA Lottery Fans
With a collection of over 350 games, BetOnline Casino promises to have something for all players. It’s even possible to wager on state lottery draws – just select whether or not you think the first drawn ball will be an odd or even number.
Virginia lottery keno fans can check out exclusive options with progressive jackpots that can exceed $80,000. Keno Megapays takes this even further and can award payouts of up to $200,000.
There is a 100% casino welcome bonus that new players can claim three times for up to $3,000 for free. The promotions page also includes additional BetOnline bonus codes for a 100% match on the first crypto deposit, 20% reload bonuses, extra cash, and more.
For banking, BetOnline heavily focuses on crypto options and recommends using Bitcoin for fast deposits and withdrawals. There are also 15 other cryptocurrencies supported in the secure cashier. Of course, you can also deposit using credit cards, debit cards, wire transfers, and even Money Order.
What we like:
- Bet on Lottery Draws
- Online keno games with huge payouts
- Various promotions for casino players
- Exciting cash races take place every day
- Extra betting options for sports and poker
What we don’t:
- It doesn’t have tickets for VA lotteries
- The sign-up bonus could be better
4. Bovada – Best for Virginia Online Bingo Games
Unlike some of its competitors, Bovada doesn’t have a huge library of games at present but is adding new titles frequently. However, it stands out due to its inclusion of lottery-style number game draws, which can be located over in the “Sports” section of the site. Bovada also serves up several bingo games, which are great for lottery fans.
You can practice the games in demo mode or bet real money, without needing to install a casino client. New players are eligible for several bonuses thanks to the Bovada promo codes provided. The regular welcome offer is three 100% deposit bonuses, while the Bitcoin bonus goes up to 125%. The following promotions are a bit limited.
After a quick sign-up, the cashier on the site allows for instant deposits by Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tether, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, voucher, and cards. These are easy to use, although we would have liked to see more banking options. Payouts are very quick and normally approved by the security team in just 24 hours.
What we like:
- Exclusive instant-lottery games in VA
- Top selection of bingo titles
- Real money bets earn you extra rewards
- $250,000 maximum payout in online keno
- Low bonus playthrough requirement of 25x
What we don’t:
- Doesn’t sell lottery tickets online
- Limited online casino promotions
5. BetUS – $5,000 Welcome Bonus and Promos for VA Online Lotto Games
BetUS is a well-established brand for online sports betting in the United States. Besides its $10,000 Log-In Lottery that runs periodically, the site also hosts a full online casino, which has video bingo, video keno, and modern scratch cards. Players can also check out the 300+ online slots that easily rival the options on the Virginia Lottery online play site.
The BetUS Casino lobby makes it easy to navigate the different types of games. These load on the site and are available in both fun and real play modes. Bets for keno start from just $0.10 and can go up to $5 per round. Higher betting limits are provided for video bingo, scratch cards, and most slots.
As for promotions, BetUS stands out with its 250% crypto bonus of up to $5,000. It is the largest bonus among our featured Virginia online lottery sites. The other BetUS promo codes trigger additional bonuses on following deposits, including 150% crypto offers.
What we like:
- $10,000 Log-In Lottery promotion
- Lottery games like bingo and video keno
- Large bonuses for Bitcoin casino deposits
- Support available by phone, email & chat
- Displays betting limits for all the games
What we don’t:
- Most bonuses expire after 14 days
- Limited online deposit methods
Virginia Lottery Sites Compared
When you want to play Virginia online lottery games, you can take your pick from multiple popular options. However, you should note that the available games can depend on the site.
The following table can help you find the perfect fit based on the type of games you want to play. We also present the standard welcome bonus available for card deposits. Crypto bonuses can be bigger, depending on the site.
Bet on Lottery?
LBLOCK Jackpot, NFT Draw
250% deposit match up to $1,000
Keno, Scratch cards
100% deposit match up to $1,000
Bet on Lottery, Keno, Scratch cards
100% deposit match up to $1,000
Numbers Game, Keno, Scratch cards, Bingo, Bet on Lottery
150% deposit match up to $3,000
Keno, Bingo, Scratch cards
How to Claim a Virginia Lottery Prize
You can claim a Virginia lotto prize at any of the licensed retail locations. Make sure to sign the back of the ticket and have a government-issued photo ID with you. For prizes of $600 or less, you just need to present your SSN. Prizes that exceed $600 will require you to provide proof of your SSN.
Also, you will need to fill out the claim form, which you can download in advance from the site.
For Virginia lottery online wins of under $100, the funds are transferred automatically to your account balance. Prizes of over $100 online will require you to file an online claim within 180 days of winning.
Winnings from lottery-type games at a trusted offshore casino or from crypto lotteries online are added to your account. You can then withdraw the funds through a variety of banking methods.
Virginia Lottery Rules
Lottery laws and rules can depend on the state since federal regulations only set an outline for the industry. In Virginia, players benefit from relatively looser regulations that make lottery games more accessible. Find answers to key questions regarding Virginia lotto rules here:
What’s the minimum age for players to buy Virginia lottery tickets?
All participants must be at least 18 years old in order to purchase tickets and claim prizes in Virginia.
Can I buy lottery tickets even if I am not a Virginia resident?
Yes, you can purchase tickets online and in retail stores in Virginia even if you are just visiting the state.
Can I claim a Virginia lottery jackpot anonymously?
The lottery laws in Virginia only allow for players who win $10 million or more to remain anonymous. If you win less than $10 million, the details will be part of the public record.
Do I have to pay taxes on my winnings from the Virginia lotto games?
Yes, the Lottery Department will withhold 4% of any lottery prize that exceeds $5,000. You also have to pay 24% in federal taxes for the prize.
Can I validate my winning ticket in another state?
No, if you purchased the ticket in Virginia, you must validate it in the state as well.
How much time do I have to collect my prize?
You have 180 days from the draw date to claim the prize money. For Virginia scratchers, the 180-day expiration period starts from the official end date of the game.
Lottery Games available in Virginia
Players in Virginia can take part in various lottery games, ranging from state-specific lotteries to multi-state draws. There are also lottery-type games that add more gaming options on-demand with scratch cards, keno, and more.
Crypto Lottery Games
Cryptocurrency lotteries online are becoming widely available. They are very similar to traditional lotteries but exclusively held online, on secure crypto platforms. Players can buy tickets using the accepted cryptocurrencies and then claim the prizes directly to their wallets.
LuckyBlock is a leading crypto games platform with big lottery draws. The main jackpot right now is already over $2.3 million and it keeps getting bigger. Users can buy tickets using the dedicated cryptocurrency LBlock. It is also possible to earn free entries by holding LBlock tokens.
Virginia Specific Lottery Games
Some Virginia lottery games are only available within state borders. As a result, the player pool is much smaller than in nationwide lotteries and you have better odds to win. The best Virginia-exclusive lottery games are:
- Virginia-Bank a Million: While only available in retail stores in Virginia, the Bank a Million lottery is very popular. The top prize here is $1,000,000 after taxes and tickets cost $2. You must match all six numbers, without the bonus ball, to win.
- Virginia-Cash 5: The new Cash 5 lottery with Ez Match has a jackpot that starts at $100,000. Each ticket has five numbers between 1 and 41 for $1. Matching all five numbers wins the jackpot, which rolls over and increases on non-winning draws.
- Virginia-Cash Pop: The Virginia Lottery Cash Pop is an innovative game with five draws per day. Players just need to select at least one number between 1 and 15 and wager $1-$10. The prize depends on the numbers and bet, going up to $2,500.
The Virginia Lottery Powerball draws are among the most popular in the state. The game is available in 45 states, which can result in some massive jackpots. In fact, Powerball currently holds the record for the largest lottery jackpot of $1.586 billion, won in 2016.
You can buy Powerball lottery tickets in Virginia online and at retail locations. Tickets cost just $2 and draws take place three times a week. Another great alternative is to bet on the lottery at BetOnline. For example, you can bet on the first number being odd or even.
The MegaMillions Virginia Lottery is another hugely popular draw game with the potential to create millionaires every week. Simply pick five numbers between 1 and 70, and a Mega Ball between 1 and 25. One ticket costs $2, available both online and at land-based locations in VA.
For even more fun with numbers, we recommend checking out Bovada. The Sports section has an exclusive numbers game with rounds taking place every two minutes. You can choose your lucky numbers between 1 and 75, or go for the Over/Under bets.
Tips for Playing & Betting on Lotteries in Virginia
General lottery tips can help steer players in the right direction, but we always recommend adjusting to your own situation. Consider the following tips as guidance to help new players learn how to play Virginia lottery online and improve results:
1. Choose the Right Lottery
This depends on what your goal is. Smaller lotteries, like the Virginia Lottery Bank a Million, come with better odds to win. While they don’t have jackpots worth hundreds of millions, they can still change lives.
2. Purchase Extra Tickets
If you are using different number combinations, extra tickets provide extra chances to win. Of course, don’t overextend yourself by buying more than you can afford. We recommend around 10 tickets for a draw.
3. Check the Jackpots
Some of the most popular games have jackpots that roll over if they aren’t won after the draw. So, the prizes increase while the odds of winning remain the same. For example, wait for a big Virginia Lottery Powerball jackpot.
4. Avoid the Popular Numbers
Every number has the same odds when it comes to Virginia lottery results. However, numbers between 1 and 31 are more popular among players, which can mean a shared prize. Try to avoid birthdays when picking.
5. Enjoy the Virginia Lottery Play Online
A big advantage to playing Virginia lotto games is that you can buy tickets online. This way, you avoid the hassle of going to a retail location. You can play the big ones online and also the Virginia Lottery Pick 3/4 games.
Payment Methods at Virginia Lottery Sites
When it comes to playing Virginia lottery online, payment methods are very important. These allow users to make purchases, add funds, and withdraw their winnings. Moreover, a solid range of payment options is a great indicator of a trustworthy offshore operator. These are the most popular methods at VA sites:
Cryptocurrency transactions are now easier and more popular than ever before. They are also widely available on offshore casino sites with lottery-type games and other options. Bitcoin is the leading cryptocurrency, followed by Ethereum, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash, and more.
On the topic of crypto banking for online lotteries in Virginia, LuckyBlock quickly stands out thanks to its dedicated platform. It even has its own exclusive cryptocurrency known as LBlock, which players can use to buy tickets for the draws.
eWallets are quick and secure payment methods for online Virginia lottery games. The official site accepts PayPal for both deposits and withdrawals. Just make sure that you are using a checking account and not a credit card for the PayPal wallet. Other popular eWallets for online payments include Skrill, Neteller, Apple Pay, and Google Pay.
Online payments by eWallets are generally free but some transactions can have small fees. This also goes for withdrawals, where domestic transactions have standard rates between 1.9% and 3.5%. The bad news is that most offshore gaming sites in Virginia don’t accept eWallets.
Regular Payment Options
Standard payment options for Virginia lottery games online include debit cards and bank account ACH. These remain among the most popular for online payments, with most players already having cards in their wallets. Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover are accepted at most retail lottery stores.
You can also use cash at land-based stores and lottery vending machines located throughout the state.
Other Payment Options
Additional payment methods that you can use on some gaming sites with lotteries and similar games include:
- Person to Person
- Gift Cards
- Cashier’s Check
Virginia Lottery App & Mobile Play
Players can now take part in the action from their phones. Virginia lottery apps are available for both Android and iOS devices. They provide instant access to the account for the same lottery games. Furthermore, you can even scan your ticket through the mobile app to see if you have a winner.
The best mobile casinos are also available on iPhone and on Android smartphones. Most of them offer instant-play mobile versions, which run directly from the browser on your device. This makes it faster to access the various Virginia lottery-type games and betting options.
For example, LuckyBlock has launched its mobile apps on the two main platforms. The user-friendly interface makes it easy to buy tickets, check draws, and claim prizes.
Biggest Virginia Lottery Wins
Looking at the biggest lottery wins in the state, it is clear that players have had more success with the Virginia lottery Mega Millions than with other games. These are the largest lottery jackpots claimed in Virginia as of May 2022:
- $239 million Mega Millions Jackpot in March 2004
- $217 million Powerball Jackpot in February 2013
- $200 million Mega Millions Jackpot in October 2009
- $107 million Mega Millions Jackpot in July 2011
- $82.5 million Mega Millions Jackpot in August 2007
- $75.6 million Mega Millions Jackpot in May 2009
- $44 million Mega Millions Jackpot in May 2007
How We Choose the Best Lotto Sites
We present the best lotto sites after carefully analyzing the market and the available brands. During each review, we check the offering and the services across different categories. We then rank the results and compare totals. You can learn more about our base criteria for selecting the top sites here:
Range of Real Money Lottery Games
The first aspect to consider is the gaming offer. Here, we check the range and the type of options that players can access. We look for lottery draws available in Virginia, as well as other instant games that have similar mechanics. Keno, bingo, scratch cards, and number draws are the main alternatives.
Additional games are also appreciated. While the Virginia Lottery offers slots-like scratches online, offshore casinos can provide much better options. Some sites host over 300 slot games with awesome graphics and extra bonus features, like free spins and wilds.
Bonus Offers & Promotions
Casino bonuses can help new players get started with extra funds for free. As we’ve covered above in the guide, offshore sites are giving away up to $5,000 in bonus money on the first deposit. There are also packages with bonuses across multiple deposits, which can be more accessible for more players.
The following promotions can also be very helpful. Deals can include reload bonuses, free lottery entries, comp points, free spins on selected slots, and more.
Payout Methods, Transaction Speed & Fees
Convenient payment methods are a must in order for players to actually enjoy their winnings. The standard withdrawal methods when for online Virginia lottery prizes are bank account ACH and PayPal. The processing timeframe here is of 3-5 business days.
For online casino sites with lottery-type games, popular payout methods can include cryptocurrencies, bank transfers, and checks by courier. The fastest withdrawals are to crypto wallets, being completed instant once approved, which takes about 1-2 days.
Availability for Virginia Players
The availability in Virginia is of course a crucial aspect when recommending online lottery sites. These have to be available throughout the state and allow players to easily register and connect.
The recommended crypto lottery platform and offshore gaming sites are available across the entire nation. They accept American customers and even provide convenient banking methods.
Safety & Security
Last but not least, the online security provided by the site must be perfect. We verify the encryption technology on the platform, the reputation of the operator, and the validity of the license.
Furthermore, we check the gaming options and the developers behind them. Online betting games must use random number generators to ensure fair results.
For more details on the different types of gaming options available in Virginia, check out these useful resources:
- Online lotteries – The best guide to playing lottery games online in any state.
- Online sweepstakes – Our selection of the best online casino sweepstakes
- Keno online – Expert presentation of online keno games and the best sites.
- Bingo online – A rundown of the best online bingo games and how to play.
- Online casino games – Complete guide to the different types of casino games.
The Overall Best Virginia Lottery Site
LuckyBlock is our overall top pick for online Virginia lotteries. It holds its own exclusive draws that can award jackpots of over $2 million. Plus, more participants receive prizes just for taking part in the action and buying LBlock tokens.
One of the best parts about LuckyBlock is the fact that players can win for free. Thanks to free-to-enter jackpots, players don’t actually have to spend anything to enter the draws. It is enough to connect your LBlock wallet on the site and verify it daily for free entries. There are also other exclusive lottery draws to look for, like the NFT giveaway.
|Free Daily Jackpot Entry||Get Offer|