Sports betting in Maine is now legal. After a long process of legislation over several years, Maine authorities have given the green light for legal sports betting within the state.
You can now freely bet on sports as a Maine resident in state and on your favorite offshore betting sites. Throughout this article, we will look at the best Maine sports betting sites, as well as information on their offers.
- 1 Best Maine Sports Betting Sites Ranked
- 2 Best Maine Sports Betting Sites 2022
- 3 Top Maine Sportsbooks Reviewed
- 3.1 1. BetOnline – Best Maine Sports Betting Odds for NFL, NBA and MLB
- 3.2 2. MyBookie – Best Overall Sportsbook for Maine Sports Betting
- 3.3 3. Bovada – Great Interface for Online and Mobile Sports Betting
- 3.4 4. Sportsbetting.ag – Best Sportsbook for Live Betting and Live Streaming
- 3.5 5. BetUS – Solid Sportsbook Gambling Package (sports, racing, eSports, live betting, casino)
- 3.6 6. XBet – Great Selection of Props and Futures for American Football Games
- 4 More on gambling in Maine…
- 5 Maine Sportsbook Betting Sites Comparison
- 6 Timeline: Maine Sports Betting Movements
- 7 Who Can Bet on Sports in Maine
- 8 How to Bet on Sports in Maine
- 9 Is Sports Betting Legal in Maine?
- 10 When Will Betting Be Legal in Maine?
- 11 Previous Sports Betting Bills in Maine
- 12 Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Maine
- 13 Payment Methods Available at Maine Betting Sites
- 14 Bonuses Available at Maine Betting Sites
- 15 Popular Sports to Bet on in Maine
- 16 Live Betting with Maine Sportsbooks
- 17 How Maine Sports Betting Stacks Up to Bordering States
- 18 Casino with Sports Betting in Maine
- 19 More on Maine Gambling
- 20 Best Online Betting Site in Maine
Best Maine Sports Betting Sites Ranked
|100% up to $1,000 Casino Bonus||Get Offer|
|100% Up To $500 - No Code Required||Get Offer|
|50% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|150% up to $3,000||Get Offer|
|Up to $1,000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|100% Welcome Bonus Up To $1000||Get Offer|
|100% Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|Claim a $5,555 Welcome Bonus package||Get Offer|
|$1000 Welcome Bonus + Free NBA Live Streaming||Get Offer|
|35% free play up to $700 Bonus||Get Offer|
Best Maine Sports Betting Sites 2022
There’s quite a range of sportsbooks to choose from in Maine. Below we’ve taken what we think are the 10 best Maine sports betting sites right now and ranked them in order from one to ten. This list will change as new sportsbooks get reviewed and feature change, so bookmark this page to stay up to date with the latest rankings.
- BetOnline – A sportsbook that targets great value odds as its main selling point
- XBet – Great selection of props and futures for American football games
- MyBookie – Great balance of sports and market coverage
- BetUS – Great coverage for NFL and NBA, along with most US-based sports
- Bovada – The best for mobile betting with a stunning betting app
- Sportsbetting.ag – Retro in terms of design and huge market coverage
- BUSR – Best for welcome and existing player promotions
- Everygame – Loads of payment options and dedicated sports betting app
- Jazz – Best sports welcome offer
- Betanysports – The link between sports, horse racing, and casino is excellent
Top Maine Sportsbooks Reviewed
Maine doesn’t have a huge sporting tradition compared to some states. There are no professional sports teams to speak of, so our reviews have been looking to see which incorprate college and minor league sports the best.
Whilst we rank each sportsbook on merit, we try and include as much info as possible to allow you, the reader, to pick the sportsbook that is best for you. Our “best” might not be your best, but we will give you all the information you need to make sure your pick is as strong as it can be.
1. BetOnline – Best Maine Sports Betting Odds for NFL, NBA and MLB
BetOnline is another massive brand that makes the list and again, is one that we’ve enjoyed testing. Their biggest strength lies within the odds-making ability and we have found them to be most consistent from all the brands on this list.
They do great work in this regard with pretty much all sports within the sportsbook, but they excel when it comes to NFL, NBA and MLB betting lines. We compared dozens of bets amongst other sportsbooks on this page and they were the most consistent by some margin.
An additional feature to this is the inclusion of odds boosters. The markets for this range, but include things like teams to win conferences, MVP bets and even Heisman boosters.
Banking with the sportsbook is as good as you will find. They have the biggest range of payment methods that we have seen, such as Visa, Mastercard, bank wire, Ripple, check and a host of cryptocurrencies. Deposits start from just $20 and max out at $25,000 per transaction.
You’re also getting access to one of the biggest welcome offers in the game with BetOnline. It’s a $1000 bonus that needs to be wagered just 10 times within 30 days, so is incredibly accessible for all players.
What we like:
- Most consistent when it comes to odds
- Massive $1,000 bonus with only a 10x clearing rate attached
- Great range of US-based sports
What we don’t:
- Not the best looking sportsbook
2. MyBookie – Best Overall Sportsbook for Maine Sports Betting
MyBookie is our number one pick for sports betting in Maine. The state doesn’t have a huge connection with pro sports teams, but they’ve got a decent college setup and this is where MyBookie excels.
College betting throughout the site is about as strong as you’re going to find. Betting on teams such as Maine Mariners (hockey) and Maine Red Claws (basketball) make it one of the few sportsbooks that allow access to these teams.
Moving money is another strong feature of the sportsbook. Visa, MasterCard and Bitcoin are all accessible, and we’re starting to see an increase in the types of Bitcoin that they accept as well. Cryptocurrency is the best way to get money in and out of the sportsbooks, with withdrawals processed in just 1-2 days, compared with 3-5 for wire transfers.
Outside of this we really enjoy testing the contests section, which they run a wide range of throughout the year. Top games include Squares, Survivor and Super Contest. Each has buy-ins ranging from $10 through to $100 and massive prize pools, usually in the range of hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Registering a new account with MyBookie will allow you to grab a welcome bonus worth up to $1,000. This is a 100% match offer and once the bonus is applied to your account, you have 30 days to wager through the full amount 10 times before it expires. Use bonus code MYB100 to trigger this offer.
What we like:
- Cover all aspects of sports betting well
- Great range of contests with hundreds of thousands of dollars up for grabs each week
- Superb NBA, NFL, and MLB coverage
- Huge $1,000 welcome bonus
What we don’t:
- $50 minimum deposit to claim the welcome offer
3. Bovada – Great Interface for Online and Mobile Sports Betting
Bovada is a close second and the only reason why land here is that they don’t have the college coverage that MyBookie has. The markets just aren’t as strong and whilst they cover major events like March Madness, it’s more seasonal games that they lack, which is important in Maine.
Bovada does come with a stunning-looking sportsbook though. They back up their style with a strong odds section, and as we’ve mentioned in other state reviews, are great for underdog betting given their massive “recreational” player base.
Bovada is a lot more than style over substance and they back this up with a well-stocked betting site. Coverage of US sports is simply exemplary, and the likes of NBA and NFL are notable standouts here.
But it’s their coverage of sports, leagues, and markets on an international scale that we were most impressed with. Tennis, soccer, UFC, Aussie rules, and golf are just a handful of sports that they cover exceptionally well.
Finally, new accounts are going to be able to get up to $1,000 in bonus money. The offer is based on your first deposit and is a 50% match of this amount. All you need to do is enter the promo code BVD1000 and wager the bonus 5x to convert it to cash.
This ties in brilliantly with their rewards program, allowing you to earn points as you bet. They are one of few that offer this service.
What we like:
- Great looking sportsbook and mobile betting app
- Coverage is strong for US-based sports
- Lots of Bitcoin payment options and bonuses
- Massive $1,000 welcome bonus
What we don’t:
- No major flaws to report
4. Sportsbetting.ag – Best Sportsbook for Live Betting and Live Streaming
Sportsbetting.ag excels in a lot of things when it comes to sports betting for players in Maine, but it’s their live betting section that caught our eye early on. We love that they have a dedicated section for this and you’re able to jump on and not only see what is live, but what is coming up as well.
One of the best features about this is that the live betting section integrated live streaming as well. This means you’re able to watch and bet at the same time, making them one of the few Maine sports betting sites to offer this feature.
College and minor league sports are well represented on the site. SportsBetting.ag has hosted a number of games from within the Maine Black Bears program over the years, which is very much unique to our list. The downside is that games are limited, but this is true for a lot of the competition as well.
They also include a solid eSports betting section, which is one of their newest parts of the sportsbook. Game coverage is good here, with Counter Strike, DOTA 2, StarCraft 2, Call of Duty, FIFA and King of Glory being the standout games on offer.
A lack of reduced juice is a small negative that should play too big a role for most, but if you’re betting here full time, this juice soon adds up. That being said, for parlay and teaser bets, they are about as good as you will find.
The welcome offer is another $1,000 bonus which is a 50% match of your first deposit. You need to use the bonus code SB1000 to claim this offer and you then wager through the full amount 10x in 30 days to clear it before it expires.
What we like:
- The best in the business for live betting
- Live streaming integrated into the live betting section
- A good welcome offer that is about as good as you will find
What we don’t:
- Dated design compared to some
5. BetUS – Solid Sportsbook Gambling Package (sports, racing, eSports, live betting, casino)
BetUS make up the last of our five picks for sports betting in Maine but are far from the bottom of the pile. In fact, in terms of an overall betting package, they are one of the best.
The sportsbook excels when it comes to live betting and the inclusion of NFL games here is a huge pull. We mention that because we know that a lot of punters will in fact be betting on the likes of the New England Patriots, given that this is the team for a lot of Maine residents.
In terms of software, it’s one of the best. It not only looks great but assuming you’ve got the account status, bets of $10,000+ can be wagered on most sports. For lower status accounts and bets like props and futures, you’re looking at a $500 cap with most bets.
One of the reasons why we were impressed with BetUS was the package on offer. Sports betting is great, but when you link that to their casino, eSports, live betting and horse racing, it creates a sportsbook that all players will enjoy.
You can tie all this in with a great promotions section as well. The welcome bonus is a 125% match up to $3,125 on your first deposit. This comes with a 10x rollover on sports bets and a 30x rollover on casino games.
What we like:
- One of the best in terms of betting “package”
- Great link up between live betting and the main sportsbook
- Excellent welcome offer and VIP/existing player promotions
- Stunning looking sportsbooks
What we don’t:
- Not as competitive with odds as some of the sportsbooks mentioned prior
6. XBet – Great Selection of Props and Futures for American Football Games
Among the top online venues for legal and safe sports betting, XBet ranks #6 on our list. While Xbet offers a vast selection of wager options and international sports, the website is laser-focused on the US betting market. Xbet’s website design features an up-to-date modern interface, and the number of sports and leagues supported by the book has increased significantly.
Bettors can access Xbet’s whole sportsbook through their mobile devices. And players can wager on their favorite games on the sportsbook even without downloading an app. In addition to a large game library and a user-friendly website, payout times at Xbet are super fast. Betting with Bitcoin and other cryptos is an option for gamers. This makes it a good reason why Xbet is such a serious contender in Maine sports betting.
The Sportsbook’s bonuses are also worthwhile. For new players, you can claim a first deposit bonus of up $500 and receive a 100% bonus after creating your XBet account. There is a 7x wagering requirement, meaning that to withdraw your winnings, you must play through your $1,000 7x. There are other bonuses such as reload bonuses, casino bonuses, and more.
As was previously noted, XBet is a place where you can get odds on every professional sport, including the NFL, NBA, college football, college basketball, MLB, NHL, UFC, and boxing. They offer odds on any sport you can think of. At XBet, you have the option of using major credit cards like Visa or Mastercard, as well as cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Litecoin, and BitcoinCash, when making a deposit.
What we like:
- Best Sports Betting Site In Maine
- Futures on almost of sports
- A variety of special bets and props
- 24/7 customer support
What we don’t:
- Huge wagering requirement for bonus
More on gambling in Maine…
Learn about all types of online gambling in Maine in our expert guides below:
Maine Sportsbook Betting Sites Comparison
The comparison table below allows you to get an overview of what each sportsbook has to offer in terms of bonuses, markets, and payment methods. You can use this table to quickly see which might be the best Maine sports betting site for you and use the reviews above to dig a little deeper if you wish.
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment Methods|
|BetOnline||100% up to $1000||INSIDERS||Aussie Rules, badminton, boxing, field hockey, snooker, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple|
$500 deposit match
Visa, Mastercard, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin, MoneyGram, Bank Wire
|MyBookie||100% deposit match up to $1,000 25% Reload bonus up to $500||INSIDERS||Basketball, boxing, eSports, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum|
|BetUS||125% up to $2,500||INSIDERS||NFL, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, and more||Yes||VISA, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
|Bovada||Up to $1000||INSIDERS||Aussie Rules, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
Timeline: Maine Sports Betting Movements
Sports betting legislation has officially made its way to Governor Janet Mills’ desk. As of April 2022, we await the signature. As we inch closer to legalization, let’s take a look back at how we got here.
- August 2022: Sportsbetting is finally legal in Maine. LD 585 was quickly signed into law by Governor Janet Mills after it was approved by the Senate on May 2, 2022.
- May 2022: On May 2, 2022, Governor Mills will sign LD 585, officially legalizing retail and mobile sports betting in Maine. Also, it was anticipated that Governor Mills would sign LD 585 if her amendment proposal to transfer complete control to state tribes is approved.
- April 20, 2022: The Maine Senate approved an amended LD 585 by 23-11. This bill gives the Penobscot, Passamaquoddy, and Maliseet Tribes exclusivity over sports betting, both at retail sites, and they can partner with one online operator. Governor Janet Mills is expected to sign this into law.
- April 14, 2022: The Maine House advanced an iteration of LD 585.
- July 20, 2021: Governor Janet Mills is able to not decide on sports betting as both versions of LD1352 stall on the Appropriations Table.
- July 2, 2021: LD1352 must pass the Appropriations Table despite passing in the House.
- June 23, 2021: A successful vote in the House puts sports betting back in front of Governor Janet Mills.
- June 1, 2021: After a month-long debate, the House passes SB 1352. However, Louis Lucchini does not vote for the amended version of his bill.
- May 3, 2021: There are three other bills in addition to Louis Lucchini’s bill. The difference between them is centered around licenses being attached to Maine casinos. Lucchini’s does not require an in-state partnership to operate.
- April 9, 2021: After LD 553 fails, Lucchini proposes SB 1352.
- 2020 – Bill L.D. 553 was vetoed by Governor Mills, citing that the bill was not in the best interests of the residents of Maine. This was argued and overturned by the Senate but ultimately fell just short in terms of overturning the house.
- 2019 – Following the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) being overturned in 2018, Maine was able to put forward a case just a year later to try and become one of the first states to host sports betting.
- 2019 – The first bill (L.D. 553) was passed to provide sports betting both online and in-person.
Who Can Bet on Sports in Maine
Sports betting in Maine is currently legal, so everyone within the legal betting age (18 years for betting on lottery and 21 years old for gambling on any casino or sports betting site.
For offshore sportsbooks, the minimum age required for you to bet is also 18 years of age or older.
How to Bet on Sports in Maine
Interested in starting your betting journey with Maine’s best online sportsbook in Maine? Let’s walk you through the registration process at BetOnline, which offers a sign-up bonus of 100% match up to $1,000 on your initial deposit and more.
1. Create An Account
When you’ve selected the online sportsbook you want to play at, complete the registration process. This requires just a few minutes of your time.
2. Explore Promotions
While doing this before creating the account is also heavily advised, at the very least, to check out the promotions available to you after creating an account. This could help you decide how much to wager.
3. Deposit Money
Now that you know what promotions are available, go to the deposit page. This is typically found in the upper right-hand corner of the page on the sportsbook. Here, a list of methods will be available, and you can complete the process right here on the same page.
4. Make A Bet
Now that you have your account stock with funds, head back to the home page, find the sport and contest you want to wager on, and complete the bet on the betslip.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Maine?
Yes, sports betting is now legal in Maine. Signed into law by Governor Janet Mills after its approval in May 2022. This is great news for bookies and bettors in Maine, who will now bet freely without the fear of going against the law.
When Will Betting Be Legal in Maine?
After making its way to Governor Janet Mills’ desk for signature, sports betting is currently legal in Maine.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in Maine
- LD 585: Passed by both the House and the Senate, this bill is what would bring sports betting to Maine, allowing for three tribes to have exclusivity.
- SB 1352: Another bill proposed by Louis Lucchini would not require sportsbooks to have an in-state partnership to operate.
- LD 553: Proposed by Louis Lucchini, this bill was ultimately vetoed by Governor Janet Mills. Her reasoning had to do with her not knowing “how prepared” Maine residents are for sports betting.
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Maine
In Maine, the state tax system updates each year to reflect the cost of living and inflation.
The most recent tax system consists of three brackets, with percentages not exceeding 7.15%.
- Income of up to $22,450 is taxed at 5.8%
- Income of up to $53,150 is taxed at 6.75%
- Income of more than $53,150 is taxed at 7.15%
Payment Methods Available at Maine Betting Sites
Each sportsbook may offer different payment methods, but that’s OK. Here, we will go over the various available methods for you across all of the top sportsbooks we recommend. So, if you come across a sportsbook that does not have your preferred method, another site will.
Crypto Betting Options
On top of having numerous methods available, offshore sportsbooks also have promotions dedicated solely to cryptocurrency.
- Bitcoin Cash
- Shiba Inu
eWallet Betting Options
With an eWallet, you can fund your account either with your eWallet balance or as an intermediary between your bank account and the sportsbook account.
Traditional Payment Methods at Maine Betting Sites
If cryptocurrency and eWallets are methods you’re not interested in, many other traditional methods are available.
- Credit/Debit Cards
- ACH Transfer
- Online Banking
- Check my mail
- Wire Transfer
Bonuses Available at Maine Betting Sites
Betting bonuses and special offers are essential to any online sportsbook. The sportsbook bonuses, in most cases, are one of the things that draw new players to an online betting site. And the sportsbooks are taking advantage of this by offering the best bonuses to both new and existing players.
It could be a sportsbook welcome bonus, deposit bonus, free spins, or promo codes. You want to get the most out of it, whatever it is. Below are some of the most common bonus offers you’ll find at Maine betting sites:
The deposit bonus is the most common welcome bonus available to new players at online sportsbooks. With these, you will receive a percentage match up to a certain amount of money. For example, at BetOnline, you will receive a 50% match up to $1,000. This means that to get the total $1,000 bonus, you will need to deposit $2,000.
To withdraw that bonus as cash, you must complete the wagering requirements. At BetOnline, this requirement is 10x.
A reload bonus is essentially a deposit bonus but smaller in terms of percentage match and overall bonus upside. You will need to either opt-in on the promotion or use a promo code on the deposit page to claim these offers.
With a risk-free bet, you will receive your wager back up to a certain amount in a site credit or free bet should the associated wager result in a loss.
No Deposit Bonus
A no deposit bonus is a smaller bonus, around $10 to $25, that you will receive just for creating an account. The wagering requirements are never more than 1x.
Popular Sports to Bet on in Maine
Maine, located in the northeast part of the United States, does not have any professional sports teams in the state. There is a state college that is Division 1, however.
Nonetheless, we will go over how to wager on the most popular US bets
NFL Betting in Maine
The NFL is such a massive market. There are not many differences between our recommended sites so you can bet comfortably anywhere.
You will wager on the moneyline, spread, totals, props, and more with the NFL.
NBA Betting in Maine
The NBA has the same bet types as the NFL, and we recommend using BetOnline for betting. Here, you will be able to utilize numerous markets and have odds available to you quickly.
MLB Betting in Maine
Like the NBA and NFL, the same bet types are available with the MLB. In terms of where to wager, Bovada, since its launch in 2011, has been an excellent source of MLB betting, offering odds for upcoming games before others.
NHL Betting in Maine
Even with Maine’s cold weather, there are no professional NHL teams. Nonetheless, with Canada nearby, the NHL is a highly-regarded sport. Here, you have similar bet types as MLB, NBA, and NFL.
MyBookie is an excellent NHL site as, like Bovada with MLB, the odds for upcoming games are available quickly, and the odds are also incredible.
NCAAB Betting in Maine
BetOnline is also a great source for college basketball betting, but BetUS, with Gary Payton as a brand ambassador, is another excellent source of betting on college basketball, including March Madness.
- Maine Black Bears: Played their first season in 1904-1905.
NCAAF Betting in Maine
Like the NFL, you will not have to worry about what sportsbook to use. There are plenty of fun futures markets with college football, including all of their awards and, by extension, NFL Draft props.
- Maine Black Bears: Have been part of the Colonial Athletic Association Conference (FCS) since 2007.
Golf Betting in Maine
Golf is an exciting sport to bet on, with the most common bets being outright winner, top-five, 10, 15, and 20 finishes. The Masters comes around each year after March Madness and has numerous golfers to bet on.
Bovada and BetOnline offer great golf odds, including odds on the more popular golfers.
Horse Racing Betting in Maine
Mobile horse racing betting is legal in Maine despite no tracks in the state. With horse racing, BetUS, BetOnline, and Bovada all offer numerous races from around the globe.
The most common bet types for horse racing and pari-mutuel wagering are win, place, show, exacta, daily double, and picks 3-6.
DFS is Legal in Maine
Daily fantasy sports were legalized in Maine back in 2017. With sites like DraftKings and FanDuel, you will build a lineup from your favorite sport while staying under the salary cap. With these lineups, you will enter contests with millions in cash prizes up for grabs.
Live Betting with Maine Sportsbooks
All of our recommended offshore sportsbooks have live betting available and their unique interface. With this form of betting, you can wager on ongoing and actively in-progress contests. The odds will adjust as the game unfolds.
How Maine Sports Betting Stacks Up to Bordering States
In the United States, Maine borders New Hampshire.
New Hampshire has legal sports betting and has an exclusive deal with DraftKings.
Casino with Sports Betting in Maine
With the passed legislation, any casinos owned by the Penobscot, Passamaquoddy, and Maliseet Tribes will be able to offer sports betting.
More on Maine Gambling
If you’re interested in other forms of gambling at offshore sites in Maine as you wait for them to become legal and regulated, check out the links below for more information.
Best Online Betting Site in Maine
In addition to a $1,000 welcome bonus, BetOnline offers numerous markets across multiple sports. While this is our top source for betting in Maine, we recommend that you wager wherever you feel most comfortable at the end of the day.
|100% up to $1,000 Casino Bonus||Get Offer|