This guide to sports betting in Michigan will help you find the best legal sportsbooks that accept wagers from bettors in MI. Additionally, the page includes researched and regularly updated information on the state’s legal gambling space, an overview of recent industry developments, and advice on making the most out of gambling services in the Great Lake State.
|100% up to $1,000 Casino Bonus||Get Offer|
|100% Up To $500 - No Code Required||Get Offer|
|50% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|150% up to $3,000||Get Offer|
|Up to $1,000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|100% Welcome Bonus Up To $1000||Get Offer|
|100% Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|Claim a $5,555 Welcome Bonus package||Get Offer|
|35% free play up to $700 Bonus||Get Offer|
|$1000 Welcome Bonus + Free NBA Live Streaming||Get Offer|
- 1 The Best Michigan Sports Betting Sites List 2022
- 2 Best Michigan Sportsbooks Reviewed
- 2.1 1. BetOnline – Best Michigan Sportsbook for Competitive Odds
- 2.2 2. XBet – Best Michigan Sports Betting Site for Horse Racing
- 2.3 3. MyBookie – Best Michigan Online Sports Betting Site for Fast Payouts
- 2.4 4. BetUS – Overall Best Michigan Sports Betting Site
- 2.5 5. Bovada – One of the Best Michigan Sports Betting Sites for Live Streaming
- 2.6 6. Sportsbetting.ag – Michigan Online Sports Betting Site Boasting Great Odds
- 3 More on gambling in Michigan…
- 4 Best Regulated Michigan Sportsbooks:
- 4.1 1. Fanduel – Best Michigan Sportsbook Overall
- 4.2 2. DraftKings – One of the Best Michigan Sports Betting for Soccer Betting
- 4.3 3. FOXBET – Best Michigan Sportsbook for Tournaments & Competitions
- 4.4 4. BetMGM – One of the Best Michigan Sportsbooks for Parlay Betting
- 4.5 5. Bet Rivers – One of the Best Michigan Sportsbooks for NHL Betting
- 5 Michigan Betting Sites Comparison
- 6 Timeline: Legal Michigan Sports Betting Movements
- 7 Who can Bet on Sports in Michigan
- 8 How to Bet on Sports in Michigan
- 9 Is Sports Betting Legal in Michigan
- 10 Previous Sports Betting Bills in Michigan
- 11 Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Michigan
- 12 Payment Methods available in Michigan
- 13 Bonuses Available at Michigan Betting Sites
- 14 Popular Sports to Bet on in Michigan
- 15 Live Betting with Michigan Sports Betting Sites
- 16 Bets that are Illegal in Michigan
- 17 How Michigan Stacks Up to the Nearby States
- 18 Casinos with Sports Betting in Michigan
- 19 More on Michigan Gambling
- 20 Best Online Sportsbook in Michigan
- 21 Michigan Sports Betting FAQs
The Best Michigan Sports Betting Sites List 2022
Based on our research, the following are the top five legal sites for sports betting in Michigan.
- BetOnline – Best odds located on Michigan sportsbooks
- XBet – Best Michigan sportsbook for horse rebates
- MyBookie – One of the best Michigan betting sites for regular promos
- BetUS – Overall best Michigan sports betting site 2022
- Bovada – Offers live sports streaming
- Sportsbetting.ag – Michigan online sports betting site boasting great odds
- BUSR – One of the best online racebooks available
- Everygame – One of the best Michigan sportsbooks for hockey betting
- Betanysports – Unique prop builder tool & great odds
- Jazz – Solid onboarding bonus and deep markets
Best Michigan Sportsbooks Reviewed
To give readers a better idea of our ranking criteria and the pros and cons of each sportsbook, we’ve provided detailed mini-reviews of our 5 favorite Michigan online sports betting sites below.
1. BetOnline – Best Michigan Sportsbook for Competitive Odds
We think that BetOnline is another of the best betting sites in Michigan. This is in fact one of the most experienced online bookies around, having been founded in New York in 2001, and it’s also one of the top 50 largest sportsbooks in terms of betting volume.
When you sign up to BetOnline you can bag a matched bonus worth up to $1,000, so you can get loads of extra funds to use on the wide variety of sports in the BetOnline library, which include all the top US leagues and collegiate leagues, as well as loads of sporting events from all around the world.
BetOnline is also a great choice if you’re a fan of Esports betting, as you can bet on events within League of Legends and Dota 2 to Call of Duty, Valorant, and Starcraft 2. You’re also well catered for in terms of live betting, with lots of markets for both traditional sports and Esports.
You can deposit with debit or credit card at this Michigan sportsbook, as well as cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin. As the site uses data encryption, all payments are secure and your account is protected.
BetOnline is one of the most experienced sportsbooks in the business, having been founded in New York all the way back in 2001. It’s also one of the most popular around, ranking among the top 50 biggest sportsbooks by betting volume, and it’s easy to see why so many bettors favor BetOnline.
What we like:
- Generous sign-up offer
- Excellent variety of eSports markets
- Great range of live betting options
- Secure and reliable sportsbook
What we don’t:
- Doesn’t accept PayPal
2. XBet – Best Michigan Sports Betting Site for Horse Racing
XBet is a good choice if you’re looking for a Michigan sportsbook that gives something back, as it offers a 7% rebate promo on all wagers at horse race qualifying tracks.
The $500 bonus isn’t the biggest we’ve seen, but with the regular horse rebate and an unlimited $100 referral bonus, there’s still a good number of promos to enjoy at XBet.
This is one of the best crypto sports betting sites in Michigan, as you can deposit and withdraw using a range of coins like Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Bitcoin Cash. It’s also renowned for fast payouts, so you can cash in without having to wait days on end to get your hands on your winnings.
There’s great sports coverage at XBet, with a particularly good range of horse racing and Esports markets.
What we like:
- Regular horse betting rebate
- Accepts Bitcoin, Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash
- Speedy payouts
What we don’t:
- Small welcome bonus than other sites
3. MyBookie – Best Michigan Online Sports Betting Site for Fast Payouts
MyBookie is easily one of the most popular Michigan sportsbooks and it’s easy to see why. For starters, there’s a huge range of markets covering both US and global sports, as well as a fantastic live betting service, so there’s something for everyone.
This is another generous betting site that gives all new users the chance to claim a 100% deposit match bonus worth up to $1,000. You can claim this if you deposit with a credit or debit card, and there’s also a $1,000 Bitcoin welcome bonus if you want to make crypto payments into your MyBookie account.
MyBookie offers fast payouts, which is always a plus, as well as 24/7 customer service. The app is particularly impressive and is a great way to bet on your mobile or tablet, whether you use iPhone or Android.
MyBookie also has an online casino with loads of great games and a generous 150% match bonus up to $750.
What we like:
- Excellent basketball markets coverage
- Generous matched deposit bonuses
- 24/7 customer service
What we don’t:
- Could have more Esports betting options
4. BetUS – Overall Best Michigan Sports Betting Site
While the $1,000 bonuses offered by the likes of Bovada and BetOnline are certainly very generous, they don’t quite match up to the huge welcome offer available at BetUS. This is a 125% match that lets you bag up to $3,125 If you sign up using the BetUS promo code JOIN125!
This is a 100% sports betting bonus and 25% casino bonus, so you can use it on a wide range of betting markets and a great variety of casino games on the BetUS website and MI mobile casino app.
There are also some fantastic promos available to claim after you’ve signed up. For example, if you deposit using a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin, you can claim a bonus worth up to 50% of your deposit every time you top up your account! There’s also an unlimited 100% referral bonus.
If you’re looking for a Michigan sportsbook with a wide variety of markets and loads of promos, BetUS is certainly one to consider.
What we like:
- Huge welcome bonus
- Great choice of reload promos
- Impressive sports market coverage
What we don’t:
- Could have more Esports markets
5. Bovada – One of the Best Michigan Sports Betting Sites for Live Streaming
Bovada is a hugely popular Michigan sportsbook that has a large user base. One reason behind this is the many bonuses and promos on offer, starting with the $1,000 deposit match bonus to all new bettors which you can claim using the Bovada promo code BVD1000. There are also lots of regular betting contests and competitions which offer the chance to win big cash prizes every week.
Aside from the bonuses on offer, Bovada offers loads of different betting markets. One of the best things about this Michigan sports betting site is that it also offers live streaming, meaning you can watch different sporting events as they take place!
Bovada offers both low and high betting limits, so it’s suitable for different types of players. The website is well designed and intuitive, as is the mobile app, so it offers a very smooth user experience. We also found the site is secure and the customer service is helpful, so this is an excellent option for sports betting in Michigan.
What we like:
- Lots of promos on offer
- Fast crypto withdrawals
- Extensive sports coverage
What we don’t:
- No eWallet payment methods
6. Sportsbetting.ag – Michigan Online Sports Betting Site Boasting Great Odds
SportsBetting.ag offers bettors wagers on a diverse range of sporting events, with wagering options including football lines, spreads, totals, parlays, and a lot more. Besides having a wide range of interesting props, SportsBetting.ag prides itself on better payouts on winning wagers, making it one of our best MI online sportsbooks.
There is less “juice” for the book in early lines on football games. Baseball dime lines and NHL puck lines are also better than average. There are a variety of sports to choose from when it comes to the live betting feature. These include MLB and tennis, as well as the NBA and live scores across the board. With the Multi-View, My Wagers, and the Event Calendar view, you’ll never be out of the loop on upcoming events.
Additionally, SportsBetting.ag offers an extensive selection of esports, including Dota 2, Counter-Strike, League of Legends, StarCraft 2, and Rainbow Six Siege. Along with early markets and odds on the outright favorite, this Sportsbetting.ag also offers live betting as an option.
There are even Emmy and Oscar odds in their Entertainment section for when award season comes around, so you can get even more pumped up while watching the ceremonies in person.
There is a wide variety of promotions available at SportsBetting.ag, many of which include special bonus codes including a sign-up bonus of 50% up to $1,000, reload bonuses, refer-a-friend bonuses, and more. With such a staggering variety of bonus options, you can’t ignore the prospects of this Michigan sports betting site.
What we like:
- Sportsbook, casino, horse racing, and poker
- Fast payouts
- Variety of banking options
- Live dealer casinos
What we don’t:
- No eWallets
- A lot of payouts have fees
More on gambling in Michigan…
Learn about all types of online gambling in Michigan in our expert guides below:
- Michigan Real Money Online Casinos
- Michigan Online Poker
- Michigan Online Gambling
- Michigan Betting Apps
- Michigan Horse Racing
Best Regulated Michigan Sportsbooks:
The sites featured in our top 10 are offshore sportsbooks, meaning most states have access to them. We tend to favor these sites because they are available out of state and because they contain betting lines for the Wolverines, which regulated sportsbooks do not.
There are, however, several geo-restricted sites that are available to bettors within the remits of MI state that we do rate very highly; which is why we’ve taken the liberty of reviewing the best Michigan online sports betting sites based in the US for your convenience below:
Michigan Betting Sites Comparison
|Welcome Bonus||Promo Code||Live Streaming||Highlights|
|BetOnline||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||No||Large cash contests
High limit betting
|BetUS||125% sportsbook deposit match up to $2,500||JOIN125||No||Tips and analysis articles
Generous loyalty program
|MyBookie||100% deposit match up to $1,000||Not required||No||Weekly betting contests
Bitcoin boost bonus
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1000||BVD1000||Yes||Prop bet builder
Live sports streaming
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||Not required||No||Racing rebate promo
Unlimited referal bonus
|Sportsbetting.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||KICK100||No||Free live betting promos
Big money NFL contests
|BUSR||20% deposit match up to $500||WELCOME20||No||Daily rebatee
Unlimited referal bonus
Timeline: Legal Michigan Sports Betting Movements
Sports betting has been legal in Michigan for years now. Since the legalization in 2019, there have been few updates, but still some of note.
- 2022 – There were $423.8 million in bets placed on MI sportsbooks during February, an increase from $325.6 million in February 2021. Despite gross revenue of $21.6 million, sportsbooks spent $26.5 million on promotions.
- 2021 – First Michigan online sportsbooks accept wagers in January, with more than $100,000,000 in bets placed during the first ten days.
- 2020 – First retail sportsbooks opened in Michigan but were instantly closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- 2019 – Governor Gretchen Whitmer signs several gambling expansion bills that legalize DFS and online sports betting in MI.
- 2018 – Bill H 4926 is vetoed by Governor Rick Snyder.
- 2017 – Rep. Brandt Iden introduces bill H 4926 with provisions for legalizing sports betting. Iden’s Lawful Internet Gaming Act becomes the state’s first sports-betting-related bill to pass the Committee on Regulatory Reform.
- 2016 – Rep. Robert Kosowski strikes back with bill H 5828. The new bill includes additional provisions authorizing commercial third parties to offer sports betting like regular casinos. This bill also stalls in committee.
- 2015 – Representative Robert Kosowski introduces Michigan’s first pieces of betting legislation: H 4669 and H 4670. The former intended to allow sports betting activities at casinos, while the latter proposed simulcast horse race betting—the bills stalled in committee.
Who can Bet on Sports in Michigan
Sports betting is legal in Michigan and has been since 2019. For regulated operators, you must be 21 years of age or older and located in MI when you want to make a real money transaction.
You only need to be 18 years of age or older for offshore online sportsbooks.
How to Bet on Sports in Michigan
1. Create Your Account
Once you’ve picked out the online sportsbook you want to play at, proceed to register for an account. The process usually only takes a few minutes.
2. Explore the Promotions
With your new account created, head over to the Promotions page to see what offers, both welcome offers and existing player promotions, are available. This could help you decide on how much to deposit.
3. Deposit Money Into Your Account
Next, you’ll want to go to the deposit page, choose your desired method, and complete the process.
4. Make A Bet
Now that you’ve stocked up your virtual wallet with some funds go back to the home page, select the sport you want to wager on and the bet type. The betslip will populate with your selection, and you will finish the bet there.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Michigan
Yes, sports betting has been legal in MI since 2019.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in Michigan
- HB 4916: With a vote of 35-3, the Senate approved this bill, signed into law by Governor Gretchen Whitmer.
- HB 4926: This would have been the bill to bring sports betting to MI in December 2018, but then-Governor Rick Snyder vetoed it.
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Michigan
The standard sports betting tax rate in Michigan is 4.25%. However, there is an additional tax in certain cities that ranges from 1% to 2.4%.
Payment Methods available in Michigan
You’ll need to fund your account to bet on sports regardless of what online sportsbook you play at. Below are numerous methods you can utilize for payment methods.
Crypto Betting Options
At offshore sportsbooks, cryptocurrency is a heavily incentivized form of payment. Not only are there multiple forms of crypto you can use, but there are offers associated with depositing with crypto.
Here are some of the top crypto to use.
- Bitcoin Cash
- Shiba Inu
eWallet Betting Options
With an eWallet, you will be able to fund your sportsbook account by using the balance on your account or linking your bank account and using the eWallet as an intermediary.
Traditional Payment Methods at MI Betting sites
If you’re not someone who uses an eWallet or crypto, there are still plenty of other methods you can use, such as the following:
- Credit/Debit Cards
- ACH Transfer
- Online Banking
- Check my mail
- Wire Transfer
Bonuses Available at Michigan Betting Sites
When you go to an online sportsbook, you’re there to wager on sports. However, what if there was a way you could potentially make even more money by not doing anything extra?
That’s where bonuses and promos come into play.
Below, we will cover the top-four bonuses at online sportsbooks.
With a deposit bonus, you will receive a percentage match up to a certain amount on that deposit.
Let’s run through a real-life sportsbooks example.
At BetOnline, you will receive a 50% deposit match up to $1,000. So, to get the full $1,000, you must deposit $2,000. However, you will not be able to withdraw those bonus funds as cash until you meet the wagering requirements.
With BetOnline, the wagering requirements are 10x the bonus. With $1,000 in bonus funds, you must wager $10,000 in cash.
Reload bonuses are deposit bonuses, but with lower percentage matches and overall bonus gains. These are available to all players and are accessed on the Promotions page.
Depending on the site, you will need to apply the promo code on the deposit page or just opt-in.
Risk-free bets allow for the corresponding losing wager to be refunded to you as bonus credits. You can use the bonus credits as a bet to get a second chance at winning money.
No Deposit Bonus
Also known as a sign-up bonus, a no deposit bonus is a smaller bonus ($10 to $25 in site credit) applied to your account after registering for an account. There are small wagering requirements with these.
Popular Sports to Bet on in Michigan
Despite the seemingly never-ending cold weather, MI has a rapid sports fan base. Here, we will cover the four major US sports that you can bet on, and more.
NFL Betting in Michigan
Whenever the NFL rolls around, the sport of football becomes an emphasis for any online sportsbooks. We recommend any of the sportsbooks on our lists as they all offer similar odds.
In the NFL, you will wager on the moneyline, spread, totals, props, and more.
- Detroit Lions: Have never won a Super Bowl (founded in 1930)
NBA Betting in Michigan
BetOnline is the best online sportsbook to bet on the NBA without question. Here, you will access multiple markets, including event props, futures, and more. Beyond this, you will wager on the same things as the NFL.
- Detroit Pistons: Have won three titles since 1989.
MLB Betting in Michigan
Since launching in 2011, Bovada has always been an excellent source of MLB betting, offering odds faster than most other online sportsbooks. Like the NBA and NFL, baseball offers the same types of bets.
- Detroit Tigers: Last won the AL Pennant in 2012.
NHL Betting in Michigan
Like Bovada with baseball, MyBookie seems to be the first to the party to launch daily NHL odds. Yes, NHL bet types are the same as NBA, MLB, and NFL.
- Detroit Red Wings: They have won 11 Stanley Cups.
NCAAB Betting in Michigan
Circling back to BetOnline, this is the sportsbook you should use when betting on the NBA or college basketball. The same bet types from the NBA apply to college, too.
- Michigan Wolverines: Runner-ups in the 2018 NCAA March Madness Tournament.
- Michigan State Spartans: Made it to the Final Four in 2019.
NCAAF Betting in Michigan
Overall, like the NFL, you can’t go wrong betting on college football at any of our recommended offshore sportsbooks. This is another exciting sport to bet on, especially regarding NFL Draft props.
- Michigan Wolverines: Made the College Football Playoff during the 2021-2022 season.
- Michigan State Spartans: Won their last National Championship in 1966.
Golf Betting in MI
Golf is an intriguing sport to bet on in that even the golfer with the best odds could be +1000 or longer. However, there are large fields of competitors. Bovada and BetOnline offer great odds on most participants, including the top of the pack.
The most common bets with golf are outright winner, top-five, top-10, top-15, and top-20 finishes.
Horse Racing Betting in Michigan
Horse racing betting has been legal in MI since 1933. The most common bet types with horse racing are win, place, show, exacta, daily doubles, and picks 3-6.
- Hazel Park Raceway: (Closed April 2018)
- Mount Pleasant Meadows
- Saginaw Harness Raceway
DFS is Legal in MI
Daily fantasy sports are available in Michigan. Sites like DraftKings and FanDuel offer contests against small and large fields of competitors for massive cash prizes. The goal of these contests is to build a lineup while staying under a salary cap and scoring the most points.
Live Betting with Michigan Sports Betting Sites
Live betting allows for players to wager on contests actively in progress. However, as the game develops, the lines will shift to reflect what is happening during the game.
Bets that are Illegal in Michigan
While other states may not allow it, you can wager on college teams based in Michigan. Thus, there are no illegal bets you can make.
How Michigan Stacks Up to the Nearby States
In addition to bordering Canada, Michigan is also surrounded by Wisconsin, Indiana, and Ohio. Indiana has legal retail and mobile wagering; Wisconsin is in the early stages of rolling it out, and Ohio is still not yet legal.
Casinos with Sports Betting in Michigan
There are numerous casinos you can visit in person in MI to make sports betting wagers.
- FireKeepers Casino Hotel
- Four Winds Dowagiac
- Four Winds Hartford
- Four Winds New Buffalo
- Greektown Casino-Hotel
- Gun Lake Casino
- Island Resort & Casino
- Leelanau Sands Casino
- Little River Casino and Resort
- MGM Grand Detroit
- Motor City Casino Hotel
- Turtle Creek Casino and Hotel
More on Michigan Gambling
If you’re interested in other forms of gambling in Michigan beyond sports betting, our team has you covered—check out the links below.
- Best online casinos in Michigan
- Online gambling in Michigan
- Horse racing in Michigan
- Online poker in Michigan
Best Online Sportsbook in Michigan
Retail and online sports betting in MI is in full swing, and it’s only going to get better. You can get in on the action right away; just sign up with one of our top providers to start placing legal wagers in less than 10 minutes.
Because it offers by far the most lucrative onboarding bonus and provided great odds on the most recent round of NBA games during testing, we found BetUS was the best MI sportsbook overall. But, ultimately, the decision is up to the individual and you won’t go wrong with any of the sites featured on our list.
|125% sign up bonus. Bet $1000 Get $1250 Free.||Get Offer|