While Texas sports betting still isn’t officially legal, this isn’t stopping citizens of the Lone Star State from getting into sports betting. Offshore sportsbooks are legal in Texas. If this is your first foray into virtual sports wagering, this article walks you through the top sports betting sites and more.
This article highlights the top ten online sportsbooks for Texans to spend their hard-earned money. Also, we unveil some elite sports promotions and compare these world-class offshore sportsbooks.
- 1 The Best Texas Sports Betting Sites Ranked
- 2 Latest News on Texas Sports Betting Legislation
- 3 The Best Online Sports Betting Texas Sites List 2022
- 4 Best Offshore Sports Betting Sites for Texas
- 4.1 1. BetOnline – Best Texas Sports Betting Site Overall
- 4.2 2. XBet – Texas Sports Betting with a Variety of Wagering Options
- 4.3 3. MyBookie – Plenty to Choose From: Texas Sports Betting Promo Codes
- 4.4 4. BetUS – Best Texas Sports Betting Site for Bonuses & Promotions
- 4.5 5. Bovada – Best Texas Sportsbook for Bitcoin Bonus
- 4.6 6. Sportsbetting.ag – Texas Sports Betting Site with Great Esports Coverage
- 4.7 7. BUSR – Top Texas Sportsbook for Horse Racing
- 4.8 8. Everygame – Competitive Lines
- 4.9 9. Jazz Sports – Quick and Simple to Sign Up
- 4.10 10. Betanysports – Good NBA Lines
- 5 More on gambling in Texas…
- 6 Comparing Sports Betting Texas Sites
- 7 Who can Bet on Sports in Texas
- 8 How to Bet on Sports in Texas
- 9 Is Sports Betting Legal in Texas?
- 10 Land-Based Betting Within Texas
- 11 January, 2023, the Earliest to Try to Legalize Sports Betting in Texas
- 12 Supporters and Opponents of 2023’s Ballot for Legal Sports Betting in Texas
- 13 Previous Sports Betting Bills in Texas
- 14 Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Texas
- 15 Payment Methods available at Texas Betting Sites
- 16 Bonuses available at Texas Betting Sites
- 17 Popular Sports For Betting in Texas
- 17.1 Stake Your Bet on the NFL’s Games
- 17.2 Many Ways to Bet On Texas’ Pro NBA Teams
- 17.3 Hit A Homerun with Texas MLB
- 17.4 Enjoy Captivating NHL Bookie Pay
- 17.5 Dribble Out Bets with Texas NCAA Basketball
- 17.6 Score A Touchdown with Texas NCAA Football Wagering
- 17.7 Land A Hole in One with Golf Betting
- 17.8 Gallop to Victory with Online Horse Racing
- 17.9 Win Big With Soccer Betting in Texas
- 17.10 Enjoy Daily Fantasy Sports
- 18 Live Betting with Texas Betting Sites
- 19 Bets that are Illegal in Texas
- 20 How Texas Sports Betting Stacks Up to Bordering States
- 21 Land-Based Betting in Texas
- 22 Offshore Sports Betting in Texas
- 23 More on Texas Gambling
- 24 The Best Online Betting Site for Texas
- 25 FAQs
- 25.1 Is online sports betting legal in Texas?
- 25.2 When will Texas legalize sports betting?
- 25.3 If sports betting is illegal in Texas, how can I bet online?
- 25.4 Are online casinos legal in Texas?
- 25.5 Are sports betting apps legal in Texas?
- 25.6 How can I keep up with Texas sports betting news?
- 25.7 How old do I have to be to bet online in Texas?
The Best Texas Sports Betting Sites Ranked
|100% up to $1,000 Casino Bonus||Get Offer|
|100% Up To $500 - No Code Required||Get Offer|
|50% Deposit Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|125% sign up bonus. Bet $1000 Get $1250 Free.||Get Offer|
|Up to $1,000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
|100% Welcome Bonus Up To $1000||Get Offer|
|100% Bonus up to $1000||Get Offer|
|Claim a $5,555 Welcome Bonus package||Get Offer|
|$1000 Welcome Bonus + Free NBA Live Streaming||Get Offer|
|35% free play up to $700 Bonus||Get Offer|
Latest News on Texas Sports Betting Legislation
Texas has always been on the lower end of the sports-betting-regulation spectrum. The sluggish pace likely stems from a combination of deep-rooted baptist culture and multiple constitutional hurdles that make it exceedingly difficult for a Senate or House member to push through a Texas sports betting bill.
Here are a few examples illustrating that difficulty:
- June 1, 2022: A quarrel between state and federal regulators in Texas has opened up the risk of ending live and parimutuel sports betting in the Lone Star State by as early as 1st of July this year.
- May 9, 2022: The Houston Astros declared its partnership with BetMGM to be the team’s sports betting site exclusive partner with the aim of boosting fan experience in sports.
- April 20, 2022: Democrat Beto O’Rourke said he is inclined towards supporting the bill to legalize sports betting in the state of Texas as a strategy to combat inflation and generate revenue for the state.
- February 22, 2022: according to Ben Fawkes, the vice president of digital content for the Vegas Stats and Information Network quotes: “Texas sports betting could produce revenue numbers similar to New York once legalization occurs in the Lone Star State.”
- January 5, 2022: prominent sports betting attorney, Daniel Wallach, after attending (NCLGS), states: “‘I really believe there’s an opportunity here to pass sports betting in 2023. If you present it to the voters in the right way, it’s gonna pass. It will pass.”
- November 18, 2021: Austin, Texas is the site of the National Council of Legislators from Gaming States (NCLGS).
- November 9, 2021: The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that Las Vegas Sanders Corp hires lobbyists to promote the good of legalized Texas sports betting.
- July 14, 2021: lawmakers, led by Dan Patrick, extinguish all efforts by gaming companies to legalize Texas online sports betting. The issue is tabled until at least 2023.
- March 13, 2021: Christopher Gerlacher of Gaming Today magazine said: “no matter how many sports betting bills are introduced, the bills will likely die in committee” due to unmovable obstacles inherent to local laws and traditions.
- February 26, 2021: in a public statement, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick announced that legal sports betting in Texas “won’t see the light of day.”
- February 7, 2021: The Sports Betting Alliance, comprised of five professional teams is formed. The aim is to amend Texas’ constitution for sports betting.
- January 4, 2021: Texas state representative, Harold Dutton, introduces Bill 1121 to regulate Texas sports betting.
- November 12, 2020: Las Vegas Sanders Corp. hires lobbyists to push Texas to open casinos.
- February 19, 2019: Texas state representative, Eddie Lucio, introduces a bill to legalize sports betting in Texas.
This strict stance clashes with the Texas sports scene, which is chock full of distinguished teams with a die-hard following.
So, when will sports betting be legal in Texas? Right now, it’s hard to say with any certainty.
If you are a resident of the Lone Star State, we encourage you to locate your representative and contact them to express your support for legal Texas sports betting.
The Best Online Sports Betting Texas Sites List 2022
The following are, in our opinion, the best Texas sportsbooks for amateur punters and high rollers alike. Each site is licensed by a renowned e-gaming organization and was vetted for compliance with security and safety best practices:
- BetOnline – Best overall Texas sports betting site
- XBet – Good mix of international sports
- MyBookie – Many different promotions for Texas sports betting fans
- BetUS – Best Texas sports betting site for crypto bonus
- Bovada – Excellent bonus for Bitcoin deposits
- Sportsbetting.ag – Texas sports betting site with great esports coverage
- BUSR – Top Texas sportsbook for horse racing
- Everygame – Competitive lines
- Jazz Sports – Quick and simple to sign up
- Betanysports – Good NBA lines
Best Offshore Sports Betting Sites for Texas
Until Texas’ congress formally passes legalized sports betting, Texans can turn to high-profile online sportsbooks. We break down the notable and rewarding offshore sportsbook venues and highlight remarkable sports bonuses.
1. BetOnline – Best Texas Sports Betting Site Overall
Anyone who has been around in the world of online betting will be familiar with the name BetOnline. This site and sportsbook is synonymous with high-quality betting markets, competitive welcome bonuses, and first-to-market types of bets on offer. It’s been around since the early days of the 2000s and is one of the top 50 biggest betting sites by wager volume.
Players who sign up today can grab a matched deposit bonus with their first deposit, making it a great way to increase your bankroll and make sure that all the bets you want to place, are put down. The site has a wide range of bets, from intricate esports titles like CS:GO, all the way to some of the best NCAA basketball bets that players may not even be familiar with yet.
As such, the site is very on-the-ball when it comes to its tech. It’s one of the few sites that handle cryptocurrency well by accepting a wide range including the likes of Dogecoin and Ripple, while still making the effort to payout in crypto too.
What we like:
- Competitive welcome bonus
- Great esports coverage
- An impressive set of promotions
What we don’t:
- PayPal isn’t accepted
2. XBet – Texas Sports Betting with a Variety of Wagering Options
We wouldn’t be doing XBet justice if we didn’t list them in the top four for our best Texas online betting sites. While being relatively new, XBet has managed to fit in really well by bringing people to their sites with their generous mix of welcome bonuses. Players can redeem XBet promo code if they plan to do any sports betting at the site.
In addition to thathttps://www.basketballinsiders.com/sportsbooks/promo-codes/xbet/, those that want to delve further into the world of betting sites can put money on the horses, or can simply sit and play slot games, blackjack or roulette for hours. These games will all also carry their own promotions, independent of the sports betting one.
The primary focus on sports betting in Texas seems to be for the NFL, NCAA, MLB, NBA, and NHL markets. Whether you’re betting on the Houston Texans, the Dallas Cowboys, the Houston Rockets, or even the San Antonio Spurs, rest assured that XBet will have all punters covered. As far as casino games go, players will be able to experience a number of top Betsoft slots including games like Good Girl Bad Girl, and many different table game varieties.
What we like:
- Solid sports and eSports offering
- Convenient mobile-optimized application
- Wide range of payment options
What we don’t:
- Not as many titles offered
3. MyBookie – Plenty to Choose From: Texas Sports Betting Promo Codes
MyBookie sportsbook was launched in the mid-2010s. The company holds a valid gambling license from Costa Rica and is among the most popular digital destinations for Texas online sports betting folk.
MyBookie offers lines on all popular disciplines. You’ll find plenty of action in basketball, football, soccer, MMA, boxing, hockey, baseball, darts, martial arts, and over a dozen other sports. Betting opportunities span all the major events, including the NBA, PBA, NBL, and NFL, as well as minor exotic competitions. If you’ve heard of it, it’s probably available at MyBookie.
Particularly worth highlighting is the bookmaker’s League of Legends market depth, which is, hands down, the best we’ve ever seen. Enjoy betting options on the Balkan Fortuna, Polish Ultraliga, Italian PG, Spanish Superliga, Riot Gaming’s TCL and LLA, UK’s Dreamhack, and much more. If LoL is your e-gaming specialty, you’re bound to find a comfy home at MyBookie.
To spice things up, the sportsbook offers up to $1,000 in welcome bonuses to new customers and has made our list of the best high limit sportsbooks available to US-based customers. Combined, the above features make MyBookie the top Texas sports betting site.
What we like:
- A large variety of sports to bet on
- Excellent welcome bonus
- Exceptional Basketball and LoL coverage
- Prompt payments
- One of the best-reduced juice betting sites
What we don’t:
- Residents of NV, NY, and NJ can’t participate
4. BetUS – Best Texas Sports Betting Site for Bonuses & Promotions
BetUS is one of the oldest sportsbooks that accept wagers from Texas-based punters. Launched in 1994, the betting provider offers a safe and legal betting experience backed by a Costa Rica gambling license.
As you might expect, BetUS caters to fans of all sports popular in the United States. Whether you’re a football, martial arts, tennis, golf, basketball, baseball, or ice-hockey fan, you’ll find numerous lines and markets to choose from.
Conversely, if you’re more into eSports betting, BetUS has you covered with a range of odds on League of Legends, Overwatch, Valorant, Counter-Strike, Dota, and even Tekken.
BetUS offers one of the most generous promotions in the world, one that effectively amounts to $2,500 in sports-exclusive bonuses by using any of the BetUS promo codes. What’s more, if you’re willing to make several cryptocurrency payments, you can claim upwards of $7,500 in additional bonus funds, paid out over several instalments. When it comes to Texas sports betting bonuses, BetUS should definitely remain on your radar.
What we like:
- Unbeatable welcome bonus value
- Speedy withdrawals
- Well-rounded sports and market coverage
- Over two and a half decades in the business
What we don’t:
- Tough bonus wagering requirements
5. Bovada – Best Texas Sportsbook for Bitcoin Bonus
If you have any Texas online sports betting experience, then chances are you’ve heard of Bovada. This sportsbook was established by Calvin Ayre in the early 2010s and is currently one of the most recognizable betting brands in the US.
Like MyBookie, Bovada features an extensive catalog of traditional sports betting options. Whether you prefer major US leagues or would rather explore obscure Asian and African competitions, Bovada will spoil you for choice with a range of moneyline, three-way, spread, total, future, and prop bets.
The story is the same for eSports, with Bovada serving early odds on a mix of popular video gaming competitions. Whether you prefer CS: GO, LoL, Valorant, Call of Duty, or Overwatch, there’s plenty of action at favorable odds.
The icing on the cake – or perhaps the cake itself – is the $750 welcome bonuses granted to first-time Bitcoin depositors. there are other Bovada promo codes that can be used. That’s one of the best crypto-exclusive introductory offers we’ve seen, so if you’re looking to fund your account using BTC, Bovada should be your top consideration.
What we like:
- Excellent web and mobile applications
- Extensive market coverage
- Unmatched Bitcoin deposit bonus
- Launched with US bettors in mind
What we don’t:
- Lines for traditional sports events can be late
6. Sportsbetting.ag – Texas Sports Betting Site with Great Esports Coverage
At Sportsbetting.ag, you’ll find everything you need for an electrifying betting session. This Texas sports betting platform covers everything from the Super Bowl to horse racing. Texans big on the NBA can find and wager on every Houston Rockets or Dallas Mavericks event. The odds are always early and competitive too, so you get the best bang for your buck.
The Sportsbetting.ag mobile website is well-put-together, with a pop-out menu on the left providing quick access to all betting sections. Loading times are pretty decent, even on slower internet connections. Players don’t have to download a native app, but can still wager on the move. While the customer support team is not always quick to the rescue, there is a very useful help page.
The Sportsbetting.ag promo code seals the deal for most prospective sign-ups. You get your initial deposit boosted, so you start your betting adventure on the right foot. But that’s not all. This Texas sports betting site accepts supports numerous banking methods and processes all payouts quickly, without any hiccups.
What we like:
- Customers can claim a decent sign-up offer
- Mobile site has great look and feel
- Flexible sports betting limits
- Decent range of banking options
What we don’t:
- Relatively slow email support
7. BUSR – Top Texas Sportsbook for Horse Racing
BUSR is one of the most reputable TX sportsbooks, with a Curacao gambling license, which is one of the most well-respected. It’s been operating for a while, and our review team checked for any unresolved complaints. We couldn’t find any, which came as no surprise, given the operator’s reputation.
Funding your account is quick and painless using crypto like Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Ethereum, among others. Visa, MasterCard, ACH, and eCheck are some of the more traditional options. Crypto payouts are processed within 24 hours, but you’ll have to wait between 3 and 5 days.
BUSR offers various deposit bonus packages tailored for sportsbook, horse racing, and casino gambling. While the welcome offers vary in amount and playthroughs, they are all unlocked using the same BUSR promo code.
Where BUSR leaves other Texas sports betting in the dust is the horse racing betting app section. You’ll find races from France, the UK, Italy, and several local US racetracks. Having a separate racebook section shows how much attention BUSR puts to horse racing.
You can place the basic win, place and show wagers. Seasoned bettors will also find plenty of Exacta, Trifecta, or Superfecta markets. Some useful features we found at BUSR but not at other TX sportsbooks is the ability to change both the odds format and time zone. This comes in handy when betting on international races.
What we like:
- Best TX sportsbook for horse racing
- Plenty other sports and casino gambling options
- Quick transactions using crypto
- Various odds formats and time zones
What we don’t:
- Limited esports betting options
8. Everygame – Competitive Lines
With extensive coverage of the most recent football lines before each game, Everygame is a leading online Texas sports betting site. Everygame not only provides betting lines for all the main sports but also has a unique “Parlay Prince” program that awards an additional $1,000 to the player with the biggest net profit on a single parlay bet over the previous month.
And during NBA and NFL seasons, their improved halftime odds are among the best available. Everygame also offers racetracks for horse race bettors, making it ideal for an all-in-one Texas online sports betting site.
Unique prop bets for events like the US Powerbowl, politics, and the stock market may be found in the non-sports section, giving gamers a chance to branch out from the standard sportsbook fare. The two casinos at Everygame offer a nice change of pace from sports betting and feature a wide selection of slot machines and table games. The site’s $1,000 daily prize pool for the Wheel of Fortune game is a massive draw.
There is no doubt that in-play betting is the new big thing in sports betting, and Everygame is taking the stage on this one with sports betting in Texas. It has a comprehensive in-Play segment accessible from the main menu. The idea is that new gamers can choose from not one, not two, but three different sign-up bonuses is an option that makes Everygame stand out from the competition. There are other Everygame promo codes users can benefit from.
What we like:
- Fast payouts
- A wide variety of generous promotions
- Several deposit options
- Sports, casino and poker
What we don’t:
- Small odds selection
9. Jazz Sports – Quick and Simple to Sign Up
Jazz Sports is one of the best Texas sports betting sites with over 30 years of online betting thrill. It features a wide range of casino games, live wagering, sports betting alternatives, and live betting odds on various topics, including entertainment, politics, sports, and more. Jazz Sports offers sports and crypto esports betting opportunities to bettors worldwide. It offers online casino games like poker, baccarat, and more.
On the platform, bettors can change odds. You can select decimal, fractional, or American odds format in Account Settings. Additionally, Jazz Sports offers live lines for key sporting events. Jazz Sports betting features for newbies and high rollers are quite impressive. More than 400 games, daily events, and big sports betting bitcoins are available. You can choose from over 400 games and major sports betting bitcoins options, including daily events.
This bookmaker is well-known for offering a wide variety of future bets on various sporting events and activities, including pro basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball, fighting, golf, tennis, auto racing, politics, rugby, and cricket. Esports betting is also available, allowing gamers to wager on their favorite video game tournaments.
This casino offers a wide variety of bonuses and promotions. With the Jazz Sports Promo Code, bettors can claim a 200% welcome bonus of up to $2000. may also save money on their purchases. They also offer a 10% racebook cash bonus, cash reload bonus, happy hour Monday bonus, rollover Tuesday bonus100% casino bonus, making it one of our top picks for best TX sportsbooks.
What we like:
- Fast payouts
- Excellent customer service
- Exotic bonus offers
- Several betting odds
What we don’t:
- No props or mobile app
10. Betanysports – Good NBA Lines
In terms of sports betting online in Texas, Betanysports offers a menu that is extensive enough to include practically every major sporting event taking place worldwide and more. Baseball, pro and college basketball, hockey, pro and college football, golf, tennis, auto racing, boxing, and MMA are popular sports available to wager on at Betanysports.
Also, international soccer is well-covered, as are sports like volleyball, rugby, lacrosse, and wrestling. Additionally, bettors will find a variety of specialties that are typically unavailable at other bookmakers. Betanysports supports straight bets, totals, teasers, parlays, round robins, progressives, “If” bets, reverses, and more. Also, patrons can bet on all sports futures and significant event props.
The prospect of placing bets in real-time at Betanysports generates excitement for bettors that cannot be overstated. And that’s another area where the bookie is leagues ahead of the competition.
Betanysports offers new players at the Texas sportsbook a 35% welcome bonus without promo codes of $100 up to $700. When you sign up at Betanysports, it is in your best interest to contact customer support to ask about the bonus features and options offered.
What we like:
- Live in-game wagering
- Massive selection of props, futures, and exotics
- Fast withdrawals
- Reduced juice
- 24/7 customer assistance
What we don’t:
- Website interface looks outdated
More on gambling in Texas…
Learn about all types of online gambling in Texas in our expert guides below:
Comparing Sports Betting Texas Sites
Here are how the best Texas sportsbooks for sports betting match up against one another.
|Sportsbook||Bonus||Promo Code||Available Markets||Live Streaming||Payment Methods|
|BetOnline||50% deposit match up to $1,000||INSIDERS||Aussie Rules, badminton, boxing, field hockey, snooker, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple|
|XBet||100% deposit match up to $500||INSIDERS||Baseball, basketball, NFL, golf, soccer, tennis||No||Credit card, debit card, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, and Ripple|
|MyBookie||50% deposit match up to $1,000||INSIDERS||Basketball, boxing, eSports, horse racing, soccer, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ripple, Ethereum|
|BetUS||50% deposit match up to $200||INSIDERS||NFL, baseball, ice hockey, tennis, and more||No||Visa, Mastercard, AmEx, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Skrill|
|Bovada||100% Bitcoin deposit match up to $1,000||INSIDERS||Aussie Rules, badminton, baseball, football, golf, and more||Yes||Credit card, debit card, Zelle, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|Sportsbetting.ag||100% deposit match up to $1,000||INSIDERS||Baseball, basketball, esports, football, hockey, horse racing, MMA, soccer, tennis, volleyball, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, money order, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Ripple, Stellar|
|BUSR||100% bonus up to $1000||INSIDERS||Aussie rules, baseball, basketball, football, golf, hockey, horse racing, soccer, tennis, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, wire transfer, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash|
|Everygame||125% bonus up to $1,000||INSIDERS||Aussie rules, baseball, basketball, UFC, esports, football, golf, handball, hockey, tennis, volleyball, and more||No||Credit card, debit card, Skrill, Neteller, ecoPayz, Bitcoin, Bitcoin Cash, Litecoin|
|Jazz Sports||50% sporting bonus up to $1000||INSIDERS||Baseball, soccer, tennis, golf, MMA, football, basketball, hockey, Aussie Rules, boxing, and more||No||MasterCard, Visa, Neteller, Skrill, Cryptocurrency|
|Betanysports||55% Free Play Bonus||INSIDERS||Baseball, soccer, tennis, golf, MMA, football, motorsports, basketball, hockey, boxing, esports, and more||No||PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, Crypto, Skrill, eCheck|
Who can Bet on Sports in Texas
Offshore sports betting sites like Sportsbetting.ag accept global players into their virtual lobby, including Texans. Each site may have different age requirements, but at the minimum, gamblers from the Banner State must be 18 years old.
When creating a new account at your preferred Texas sportsbook, the registration is a short process, but make sure to read the terms and conditions for extra stipulations. In addition, each online site reserves the right to ask its members for proof of age upon registration to prevent minors from signing up.
Another reason for Texans to read the terms and conditions before signing up is to ensure that you’re not violating any rules. Ex-pat Texas residents should ensure that the country they are currently living in is allowed in their chosen sportsbook.
How to Bet on Sports in Texas
Texans turning to an offshore sportsbook can easily place an array of bets. We take you step by step on opening an account and getting into the lucrative sports action. The below steps apply to personal computers, Android devices, and iPhones and assume you are of legal age.
1. Find the Join or Registration Button
All offshore sportsbooks have a registration section. Texas sports betters can easily find a join or registration button usually on the top of the screen. Before submitting your registration application, most sites require you to check the terms and conditions box.
2. Submit A Credit Card Authorization Form
All the sportsbooks touted in this article permit credit card deposits. Instead, credit card casinos require new members to fill out a credit card authorization form for the respective cashier’s approval.
3. Check for Sports Promotions
Online gamblers from Texas can use the offshore betting site’s sports bonuses to their winning advantage. Before submitting your bet slip, we recommend checking out the promotions area.
4. Brush Up on the Sports Betting Glossary and the Bet Slip
Offshore sportsbooks offer various sports betting options. For example, Texas sports bettors can place parlay, teaser, and straight bets on their bet slip.
Is Sports Betting Legal in Texas?
Although it isn’t illegal for state residents to wager at offshore sportsbooks, Texas laws explicitly prohibit sports betting companies from operating within state lines. This restriction may change if the likes of Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban have their way, but until that happens, you can safely and legally bet with any of the overseas sportsbooks we recommend above.
Since The Lone Star State doesn’t issue sports betting licenses, the only sportsbooks you can legally bet with online are offshore ones – hence the reason why the likes of FanDuel (etc.) don’t feature in our top 10.
Offshore sites are absolutely fine though: they’ve been a go-to for American bettors for years. Our top recommendation for online sports betting in Texas is, of course, BetOnline. One day when Texas legal sports betting is something that people enjoy, then we’ll update our list!
So is sports betting legal in Texas? No. Sports betting is not legal at native sportsbooks just yet but entirely possible using offshore sportsbooks.
Land-Based Betting Within Texas
Currently, the earliest that Texas sports betting could become legal is in 2023. And, according to Las Vegas Sands’ senior vice president, Andy Abboud: “the legislative session has been a success… things are already looking up for the industry.” The NFL’s Dallas Cowboys, America’s Team, is partnered with the WinStar World Casino.
January, 2023, the Earliest to Try to Legalize Sports Betting in Texas
The earliest that Texas’s state legislature can convene to take up Texas sports betting is January 10th, 2023. Texas’s state congress only meets two months out of the year. The Sports Betting Alliance is pushing for a bill to make the ballot in November 2023.
Should this sports bill pass, the earliest that Texas sports betting can become legal is January 1st, 2024. According to ABC 13 in Houston, the Lone Star State generated approximately $5 billion in illegal sports bets last year.
Supporters and Opponents of 2023’s Ballot for Legal Sports Betting in Texas
Organizations like Las Vegas Sands and the Sports Betting Alliance are fierce advocates for legalized sports betting in Texas. In addition, Texas’ professional sports teams continue lending their voice to the passage of a sports betting bill. But the long-time Texas Republican Congress continues to vote against organized sports betting in Texas.
Las Vegas Sands and Sports Betting Alliance continue to lobby for Texas to pass a sanctioned bill finally. Phil Cox, a confidant of Texas Governor Greb Abbott, believes Abbott is opening up to legalizing sports betting. Abbott was staunchly opposed to this since becoming governor in 2015.
For decades, Texas has been a Republican stronghold, and conservative lawmakers consistently voted against Texas sports betting. The current Lt. Governor, Dan Patrick, continues to lobby against the passage of legalized Texas sports betting.
Lt. Governors under the Texas constitution have special powers over the state senate. Thus, it can influence for or against organized sports betting in Texas.
Previous Sports Betting Bills in Texas
The battle for legalized Texas sports betting has been going on since at least 2018. There have been many determined and failed bills. We shine a light on the recent bills to make Texas sports betting legal.
- HB 1275 is brought forward by Rep. Eddie Lucio to regulate sports betting in Texas. The Texas legislature votes against it.
- Texas State Representative, Harold Dutton, brings forward Bill 1121 to legalize Texas sports betting. This bill dies in the committee.
- Advocates for sanctioned Texas sports betting miss the deadline to have a bill on the ballot.
Tax on Sports Betting Winnings in Texas
Because sports betting isn’t currently legal, there is no tax on sports winnings from Texans. However, residents of the Banner State might have to pay taxes on gambling winnings from outside of Texas.
Payment Methods available at Texas Betting Sites
It is incumbent on online sportsbooks to feature a bevvy of deposit options. From credit cards, eWallets, and cryptocurrencies, the Basketball Insiders walks you through these user-friendly banking methods.
Crypto Betting Options
Bitcoin is arguably the premier cryptocurrency in the world. So popular is this blockchain technology that there is a burgeoning legion of Bitcoin sportsbooks. Bovada offers an exclusive $3,750 Bitcoin welcome package. BetOnline also provides Bitcoin to its members. Some sophisticated sportsbook sites also have Bitcoin Cash as a deposit option.
eWallet Betting Options
Prominent eWallets like PayPal, Neteller, and Skrill are common in online sportsbooks. Texans wanting to bet on offshore sites can quickly set up an eWallet. They are free to use as well. Sportsbooks might also offer exclusive banking promotions for using eWallets.
Traditional Payment Methods at Texas Betting Sites
Credit cards remain the standard-bearer for banking options. All the offshore sportsbooks mentioned here provide credit card deposits for Texans. Some of these sportsbook bastions might require their members to have an authorized credit card form. Visa and MasterCard are the normal credit options, but sites like BetOnline and BetNow provide American Express.
Bonuses available at Texas Betting Sites
There’s no shortage of lucrative bonuses awaiting Texas sports betters. From generous welcome packages to sports reload bonuses, we walk you through the mechanics of these betting prizes.
The Welcome Package
Next to no deposit bonuses, the welcome package is for new sportsbook members. After successfully registering, Texas sports bettors must make a deposit to initiate the starter prize. It is typical for the welcome promo to have a matching bonus, usually 100%, but it might also contain free spins.
Sites like Bovada might have multiple welcome prizes for sports, slot games, poker games, and table games. It is always wise to read the sportsbook’s terms and conditions to properly use the welcome starter before it expires.
Free Bets Rewards
Offshore sportsbooks usually have free bets promotions. Sportsbooks like BetUS offer matching bonuses and horse racing rebates to assist free bets. Please check the site’s promo section or the internet for them.
Rebate and Reload Bonuses
Typical online sites have daily promotions. This consists of a combination of rebate and reloads bonuses. Some days might offer a fixed matching deposit rate or a flexible one based on the user’s total deposit.
Elite sportsbooks like the ones mentioned in this article, normally have sports reload bonuses to provide extra sports betting incentives. BetOnline, for example, delivers a 25% sports reload bonus up to $250. The code for this prize is LIFEBONUS. Members here must deposit at least $50.
Offshore venues like BetNow, deliver a 10% weekly rebate for wagering on horse racing. The weekly rebate might also apply to slot and table games.
More sites are turning to alternative currencies like Bitcoin for their banking portfolio. To encourage their members to use them, they might offer an exclusive crypto booster reward. Take for example BUSR’s crypto sports prize.
Members can enjoy a 100% matching bonus of up to $1,000 for sports betting. If you’re interested, the code for this is 100CRYPTO.
Popular Sports For Betting in Texas
Not only do the residents of the Lone Star State have their pick of offshore sports bookies, but they have many sports to wager on. Our team does the legwork for Texans on the different professional and collegiate sports wagers awaiting them.
Stake Your Bet on the NFL’s Games
NFL football permits Texas sports fans to place a myriad of bets. Online gamblers can place live bet slips, straight wagers, and parlays during football season.
Some sites have sports betting guide to facilitate and educate their members on staking their bets. However, we feel that BetOnline offers the most comprehensive professional and collegiate football experience. This world-class site allows for NFL future wagers, spread bets, and teasers.
The Lone Star State is home to some of the most storied football teams in the country. We list Texas’ current NFL teams.
- Dallas Cowboys – Labeled “America’s Team” and winners of five Super Bowls
- Houston Texans – Houston’s second pro football team that replaced the Houston Oilers, who are now the Tennessee Titans
Many Ways to Bet On Texas’ Pro NBA Teams
The NBA allows Texans to wager on their teams. Texas is also home to three professional NBA teams who have previously won championships. Again, we encourage Texans to turn to BetOnline to stake their bets on one or all three of the teams. This site accepts live bets, parlays, NBA futures, teasers, spreads, and straight bets.
The Basketball Insiders picks up the dribble for you by highlighting Texas’ pro basketball teams.
- Houston Rockets – Winners of two consecutive NBA championships in the mid-1990s with Hakeem Olajuwon
- San Antonio Spurs – Have won five NBA titles with Hall of Famers Tim Duncan and David Robinson
- Dallas Mavericks – Also has won an NBA championship
Hit A Homerun with Texas MLB
Two Major League Baseball teams proudly call Texas home and MLB allows the state’s residents to gamble on them. We also encourage Texans to stick with BetOnline for professional baseball wagers. Texas sports betting extends to International baseball leagues like Japan.
Like the other pro sports, the residents of Texas can choose from live bets, spreads, teasers, parlays, futures, and the standard straight bet when it comes to MLB betting.
We quickly walk you through the Lone Star State’s beloved MLB clubs.
- Houston Astros – Winners of the 2017 World Series
- Texas Rangers – Formerly owned by President George Bush. This franchise has yet to win a World Series
Enjoy Captivating NHL Bookie Pay
One NHL team has the full attention of Texas sports betting. If you haven’t chosen BetOnline for your sportsbook destination, we encourage you to do so. In addition, avid Texans can place future hockey wagers, straight bets, spreads, teasers, and parlays on the European hockey leagues.
You can quickly peruse our NHL betting guide for more info. Here is a quick mention of Texas’ sole hockey team.
- Dallas Stars – Won the Stanley Cup in the 1998-99 season and three Western Conference championships
Dribble Out Bets with Texas NCAA Basketball
The Lone Star State is home to more than two dozen NCAA I colleges. As a result, avid Texas sports fans can wager on many-storied NCAA basketball programs. In between choosing NCAA futures, straight bets, live bets, parlays, spread bets, and teasers, you can check out our college basketball guide here.
During college basketball season, additional contents include March Madness tournaments like at BetOnline and Bovada. The Basketball Insiders has tips for March Madness odds and lines and the definitive strategy guide to how to gamble on March Madness in the NCAA tournament.
We also recommend BetOnline due to its extensive NCAA women’s options. Texas residents can fill out live bets, parlays, spreads, and teasers like the men. and futures.
Here is a quick rundown on some the top Texas college basketball teams eligible for offshore betting.
- Baylor University – Winners of the 2021 NCAA tournament
- University of Houston – Produced NBA Hall of Famers Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler
- Sam Houston State – The Bearkats play out of Huntsville, Texas
- Texas A&M – The Aggies have 10 NCAA tournaments to their credit
- University of Texas – The Longhorns rank 17th all-time in men’s college basketball victories
- TCU – The Horned Frogs have nine NCAA tournament appearances
- Texas State University – Members of the Sun Belt Conference
- Texas Tech University – The Red Raiders have made 19 NCAA tournament appearances
Score A Touchdown with Texas NCAA Football Wagering
It’s no shocker that Texans love college football and barbecue. All of the established sportsbooks listed in this article offer an avenue to bet on Texas college football. However, we feel that BetOnline remains the top choice for Texans to place their bets.
All of the standard betting options already mentioned, including futures, are available for Texans at BetOnline. During college football season, dedicated Texas fans can stake bets on these teams:
- Baylor – The Lady Bears went undefeated to capture the 2012 women’s NCAA college basketball championship
- University of Houston – Ronald Hughey currently coaches the Lady Cougars
- Sam Houston State – The Lady Bearkats are currently coached by Ravon Justice
- Texas A&M – The Lady Aggies have 15 NCAA tournaments to their credit
- University of Texas – A fabled college program out of Austin, Texas
- TCU – The college that produced Kansas City Chiefs’ quarterback, Patrick Mahomes
- Texas State University – The Lady Longhorns remain perennial powerhouses in college women’s basketball
- Texas Tech University – The Lady Red Raiders developed WNBA Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes
Land A Hole in One with Golf Betting
There is no shortage of professional and amateur sports for Texas sports betting. Golf is another lucrative arena for Texas citizens to gamble on. BetOnline offers marvelous golf betting options, including three-ball bets.
BetOnline currently has the Valero PGA Texas Open for Texas sports betting. It features up-to-the-minute odds of the remaining contests.
The Basketball Insiders spotlight Texas’s top golf tournaments available at offshore sportsbooks.
- Valero Texas Open – Dates back 100 years to 1922. It is played near San Antonio, Texas
Gallop to Victory with Online Horse Racing
The onus is on online sportsbooks to feature horse racing options. Most of our esteemed sportsbooks in this article provide Texas the luxury of horse racing. We believe that Bovada delivers the most comprehensive horse racing book with world-class arenas.
We also recommend Bovada because of its extensive horse racing glossary. The Basketball Insiders also has a virtual horse racing betting guide for your viewing. If you are a Texan interested in placing bets at your local race track, perhaps you can pick up some pointers here.
Here’s a quick run-through of Texas’ storied and rewarding horse racing tracks.
- Lone Star Park at Grand Prairie – Offers two live horse racing events every year
- Manor Downs – Ceased operations in 2010
- Retama Park – A class 1 pari-muted racetrack located in Selma, Texas
- Sam Houston – Hosts both the Thoroughbred and American Quarter horse races
For more major horse racing venues like the Kentucky Derby, Bovada typically offers unique horse racing content.
Win Big With Soccer Betting in Texas
Ranked as the most sports-crazy state in the US, there is no questioning the frenzy of betting on soccer in Texas. Home to some of the most reputable offshore sportsbooks, you can get in on the online soccer action at BetOnline, where there are free bets to claim on the soccer prop and live betting markets, a huge variety of options to wager on, and industry-impressive odds to boot.
We recommend BetOnline Sportsbook to get the most recent betting odds & lines for soccer futures. Not Forgetting the sizable sign-up bonuses you get to start betting on your favorite soccer tournaments.
Learn how to win big wagering on soccer games in this soccer betting guide. In Texas, you’ll be able to bet on teams like FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, Austin FC, Houston Dash, and also the Soccer Bowl.
Further European soccer betting options for players in Texas include a host of lines for:
- Champions League
- La Liga
- Premier League
- Serie A
- Ligue 1
- International fixtures and tournaments such as the World Cup, and much more.
Enjoy Daily Fantasy Sports
Daily Fantasy Sports is another significant aspect of Texas sports betting. Texans can use prominent DFS companies like FanDuel to wager on fantasy lineups every day. The Texas state legislature differentiates DFS from organized sports betting on the premise of DFS being a skilled game.
- FanDuel – A prominent retail sports betting force in Texas
- DraftKings – Highly popular throughout the Lone Star State
- Money Knife Fight – Allows quick wagers on popular pro Texas sports
- PrizePicks – A solid option to gamble on Daily Fantasy Sports
Live Betting with Texas Betting Sites
Texas sports fans can pick several sports betting sites mentioned here for a rewarding live betting experience. Because these sites are offshore, Texans aren’t violating state law. Once more, we highly recommend BetOnline as your primary live betting destination.
Bets that are Illegal in Texas
Organized betting on sports teams and horse racing is illegal in Texas land-based casinos. There is currently an exception for Daily Fantasy Sports. Texans can gamble in neighboring states like Arkansas, where sports betting is legal, or you can try offshore sportsbooks.
How Texas Sports Betting Stacks Up to Bordering States
While the earliest that Texas sports betting can happen is in 2024, Texans aren’t out of options. Sports betting is a surging industry with more states moving to legalize it. Arkansas sportsbooks and horse racing offer plenty of sports betting options as do Louisiana sportsbooks. Texans can also drive to New Mexico sportsbooks.
The sports betting scene in Arkansas is more in favor of sports betting than in Texas. There are currently three casinos in the state of Arkansas where gamblers can place wagers, both online and in person. Additionally, After revised regulations were approved by the Arkansas Racing Commission, mobile sports betting is currently legal in the state.
Unlike Texas, all types of sports betting are now legitimate in Louisiana, thanks to recent legislation. The 28th of January 2022 marked the official launch of mobile sports betting in Louisiana, which had previously only been available at retail outlets. Legislation authorizing sports betting was passed into law by Governor John Bel Edwards in June 2021, with the debut of brick-and-mortar sportsbooks.
Like Texas, even though the state of New Mexico has not formally proposed legislation to legalize sports betting, many industry experts feel that this will likely occur in the nearest future, given the popularity of sports betting.
Neighboring Oklahoma provides residents of the Lone Star State with plenty of legal sports betting. Despite having more than 140 tribal casinos, sports betting is still prohibited in Oklahoma. We don’t expect to see much progress on the legal front in Oklahoma any time soon. However, sports betting enthusiasts are bullish about the future of betting in the state.
Land-Based Betting in Texas
Unfortunately, the ban on Texas online sports betting services extends to land-based operations. As of mid-2021, there are no physical betting shops anywhere in Texas – at least not legal ones.
If you’re looking to place wagers at a physical sportsbook, consider traveling across to a nearby state with regulated sports betting, such as New Mexico and Arkansas.
One surprising but welcome exception is social betting. Section 47 of the state’s Penal Code imposes no sanctions for betting with friends, as long as there is a “legitimate social relationship” between participants. There’s also no limit imposed on the maximum stake.
Keep in mind that bookmakers operating from within Texas state lines violate regional laws, so if you hear of a local organization accepting wagers, please remain cautious.
Offshore Sports Betting in Texas
Because Texas laws don’t outright prohibit offshore sites, you won’t be prosecuted for registering and wagering with a sportsbook located outside the US. As long as you choose a reputable bookmaker licensed in a respected jurisdiction, you can bet safely with any of the top Texas sports betting sites we recommend above.
Nevertheless, when signing up and depositing with an overseas provider, it’s important to perform your due diligence and keep a few best practices in mind:
- There are many fraudulent sportsbooks out there. Luckily, most of them are relatively easy to spot: they have a poor website design, their bonus terms and conditions are too good to be true, and they aren’t licensed by any reputable gaming organization. The easiest way to avoid donating your money to a dishonest offshore provider is to register with one of our recommended best online sportsbooks.
- Some offshore sportsbooks may report your winnings to the IRS.
- The more sportsbooks you sign up and deposit with, the higher your chances of finding value lines and betting options for your preferred markets. We recommend that you register accounts with at least three reputable sportsbooks to start reaping the benefits of variety.
If you’re looking for safe and reliable Texas sports betting sites, check out the sportsbooks we feature on this age, all of which offer a huge range of markets, generous promos and fast payouts.
More on Texas Gambling
There is a lot of passion and support for legalized Texas sports betting. The next move is to ensure that a ballot is put up to vote in Texas’s state legislature in 2023. Meanwhile, residents of the Banner State can indulge in legalized sports betting play in Texas. We’ve put together some recommendations.
The Best Online Betting Site for Texas
When it comes to regulations in sports betting and gambling in Texas, the state is among the most conservative US jurisdictions. Luckily, state laws don’t criminalize betting with offshore sports sites, so you can open an account with any of our recommended bookies, make a safe deposit, and start betting legally today.
If you’re looking to start sports betting in Texas, you can create an account with BetOnline today to claim your 50% sports welcome bonus of up to $1,000.
|50% up to $1000 Welcome Bonus||Get Offer|
Is online sports betting legal in Texas?
When will Texas legalize sports betting?
If sports betting is illegal in Texas, how can I bet online?
Are online casinos legal in Texas?
Are sports betting apps legal in Texas?
How can I keep up with Texas sports betting news?
How old do I have to be to bet online in Texas?